Dropped the new iPad - CRASH!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Romanesq, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Romanesq macrumors 6502a

Romanesq

Had the new iPad on my desk and it was standing up on a smart cover folded up. But it then fell right over off the desk hitting the wooden floor.

It fell face down which seemed to mean death. Most of it hit the wooden floor and an edge of a carpet.

Shocked to see absolutely nothing wrong with it. It fell a good three feet and nothing. Had a radio station playing and it kept going and inspected it to find nothing wrong at all.

Is the build better with the added weight? Don't know but that was pretty fortunate. Have a Zagg folio case and am keeping it in that most of the time now.

Tough fall and don't want to see it again but fortunate. YMMV. :cool:

2. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

Luck. That's about it.

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Sounds like you were fortunate. It fell "just right."

I had an incident with my iPhone 3GS last year where it was inside a case, fully enclosed, mounted to my bicycle. I went from asphalt to concrete with a small bump and the case latch came undone and the 3GS flew in the air, naked, and landed on the concrete.

For sure, I thought it was a goner as I looked at it face down on the ground. But to my delight, it was just fine. No damage or scratches to the screen. It only had a very minor scuff mark on the backside corner.

I had that case for 3 days when that happened. I returned it the following day for a refund.

4. celinedion1 macrumors member

Wow sounds like you got lucky. Glad nothing happened to it.

5. Arid macrumors member

Arid

You're really lucky. I almost dropped my but managed to catch it by the smart cover last minute before it hit the floor!

6. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

Congrats on outcome and owning a quality product.

7. iMaven macrumors 6502

iMaven

8. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Do you have Applecare? The great thing about it is that now it will cover two incidents of damage caused by the user. If you take it swimming, shatter the screen or run over it with your car you can get it replaced for $49 for up to two incidents. Definitely a good deal IMO.

9. Richard8655 macrumors 6502

That would really be $148 ($49 1st incident + $99 upfront). But for this purpose and peace of mind, probably still worth it. Personally, I just rely on my free 2nd year credit card warranty for product failure.

10. nealh macrumors 6502

It's like insurance for 2 yrs. @$100 that's $5/mo with Apples better CS.
    Yes it $50 if I break it, less than the $200 they used to charge.

11. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

12. Red Fuji macrumors member

Red Fuji

almost had a Myocardial infarction reading your jaw dropping mishap- thank God for wood floors. Otherwise I would be coordinally invited to your Ipad wake-too much sorrow for humanity.

13. donnaw macrumors 65816

Last year we were staying in a rented condo at the coast and it had tile floors. My iPad was laying on the night stand. I guess it was just barely over the edge. My granddaughter was sleeping on that side of the bed and she rolled off (she was 3). It was one of those really tall beds.

I guess her arm caught my iPad and they both went down. She didn't even really wake up but the iPad hit the floor flat on the screen. I don't know how or why but it didn't have a scratch or dent and still works just fine. They really will take more abuse than you think.

14. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

You're lucky. My 17" MBP fell off the coffee table and just got a slight mark on one corner, but put a deep dent in the solid oak floor :(

15. pure3d2 macrumors 6502

Most credit companies give you 90 days of accidental damage protection.

16. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

I use my SmartCover in the typing position, but I've always been afraid to prop it up in that landscape tall position -- never looked stable enough to me. I wish the SmartCovers were a little bit sturdier for more than the typing position.

But maybe I'm doing it wrong. ;)

Glad yours survived!

17. Thomas Davie macrumors 6502

I learnt very quickly not to pick my iPad up by the Smart Cover :D

Doesn't matter where I put the thing, one of my cats always seems to find it and sits on top (cover is always closed when I'm not using it. So I keep it in a keyboard case (Rocketfish iPad key capsule) and he sits on top of the case. It will not stay cat free unless I physically put it away in the cupboard all th time.

Tom

18. Ricky Smith macrumors regular

I don't get how many people have so many issues with damage to their screens wether a phone or laptop. I've thrown computers and phones across the room at walls at the floor and even had a iPhone 3 that had more issues than anything and I wanted to see what it took to break it. I threw it at rocks at corners floors etc...

19. DS3 macrumors 6502a

If it has to drop, face down isn't bad as long as there is nothing on the floor. 2nd only to on its back.

Its dropping it on a corner that will at the very least bend the corner and cause the glass to not be as flush, and shatter the screen if its hard enough. I presume flat on the front distributes the impact. On the back would be better.

Now, drop something heavy/hard onto its front and you have got problems.

20. jburns macrumors regular

The extreme heat coming off of the iPad probably softened the wood floor before it hit.

21. NedFlanders macrumors member

NedFlanders

I dropped my iPad 2 the other day... Had it tucked under my arm as I was heading up to bed (smart cover and a thin plastic shell on the bottom). I ever so slightly reached up to get one more thing and it slipped out of my arm pit.

I used to stock grocery store shelves for a living and developed a fast foot to save items I would accidentally knock off the shelf.

The fast foot work kicked in but although I stopped it from free falling corner down, it bounced out horizontally and slammed into a closet door.

The only damage was a spider web of cracks a quarter of an inch in radius in the corner of the plastic shell and a hell of a sore foot (I didn't have any shoes on).

I am a little anal so I will probably have to replace the plastic shell so it will cost me $30.00.

22. Romanesq thread starter macrumors 6502a

Romanesq

on insurance

Have been fortunate and usually just insure the iPhone(s). Was considering this on the new iPad but didn't as may upgrade to a larger version.

But sure am grateful for that gorilla glass if that is what is used here.
    It made the difference and it was very fortunate. :cool:

23. Identity Fraud macrumors 6502

I wish there was a magnet on the back, so when folded in landscape with the smart cover propping it up for movie watching the folded part of the case would attach to reduce the chance of the iPad falling face first.