dropped touch voids battery warranty?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jonaseriksson, Oct 13, 2008.

1. jonaseriksson macrumors member

so apple covers ipods for a year if they drop below 50% battery health. which mine definitely has (its more like 20%).

however, since mine has been dropped they say they wont replace the battery even though it started to die long before that (and did not get any worse because of being dropped).

is this sane? i mean, a battery has no moving parts.. anyone with experience or technical knowledge?

2. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

The battery started dying before it was dropped, but it may have sustained damage from it that furthered the deterioration of the battery. I know that Apple may think it's your fault that it occurred, but I do feel sorry for you seeing as how it appears to be a legit claim on your behalf. If you went to a Genius Bar, maybe go and see a different genius, or if you called, try calling and there's no doubt that you'll talk to someone different. They may be more understanding.

Good luck :)

3. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

well it all depends on who your genius is.

ive had sand in mine with clear dents (5g) and they replaced it underwarrenty.

4. jonaseriksson thread starter macrumors member

there are no genius bars in sweden, only premium resellers that add another tier of "no can do" between consumers and the people who can actually make these decisions :)

anyway, im calling them (apple) this week. so im basically looking for a line of argument. (aside from "ill buy the nokia 5800!")

5. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Don't tell them it's been dropped and they won't have any suspicions. When you send it to them (as it will have to be repaired or replaced), they'll realise any damage caused by the user will not have resulted in the battery problems.

6. pismodude2 macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

Yeah, and when I sent in my old iPod for battery issues they replaced the battery and fixed part of it that was bent, all for free! Apple rocks!