Dropping a rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Forkjulle, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Forkjulle macrumors regular

Not that I want to try it, but does anyone know how strong a rMBP is (more or less)? With fewer moving parts, for example, will it have a better chance of survival if it fell off the desk?

Tough question, I know. But I'm just wondering what some opinions and thoughts are.

2. Puevlo macrumors 6502a

It's practically unbreakable. I dropped mine twice onto peach tiles and it didn't have a scratch on it.

3. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

maybe the SSD is more able to take dings than a HDD, but the hard drive being damaged in a fall would be the least of my concerns, as well with a cMBP during a fall the Ram might jsut pop loose and on the rMBP if the RAM is displaced not so easy to pop back in

the thinner rMBP could get damaged all kinds of ways, cracked screen, craced logic board, etc

I could be wrong but i would say the cMBP vs the rMBP would handle a fall better

I would not recommend droping either of them

4. 725032 Guest

Why do you need to know?

Who plans to drop a laptop?!

5. Forkjulle thread starter macrumors regular

Rather them than, say, a 27" iMac, right?

6. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Certainly depends how you drop it. If it falls on a small contact point on a hard surface, you're going to do a lot of damage. If it fell pretty much flat, bottom down it probably could survive 3-4 ft or so but I don't plan on trying it...;)

Small drops on carpet are completely tolerated though. My 13" MBP slipped quite a few times off my bed onto the carpet on its side. No incidents with the RMBP yet, but I've been very conscious of how I handle this £1500 device!

7. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

The RAM on the rMBP is soldered on, so it can't pop out.

I'd be most worried about the screen. With the way the rMBP's screen is built, I think any crack will require a complete screen replacement. There's no way to just replace the front glass cover because the whole thing is integrated. I imagine a screen replacement on an rMBP is quite expensive.

My advice would be to be careful not to drop your laptop. When you spend $2300+ on something, you should have plenty of incentive to be extra careful with it.

8. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

Well, £1800, I take it you got student discount too!

Personally I think the best way for anyone to avoid dropping their MacBook is to only use it on a flat surface. Touch wood, I haven't had any scares yet but you can never be too careful. I picked up one of the Thule carry cases from Apple and it seems pretty sturdy. Still, I don't want to test it's protective capabilities out though.

9. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

I think if you dropped it it would still work (as long as you didn't break the screen), however it would no doubt cause a dent or physical damage to the aluminum casing.