Dropping an iPhone in a Hardcase?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nipz, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

Just a quick question about dropping an iPhone in a hardcase.

I have a V1 iPhone thats not in a case and as you can guess it is not looking nice. i have cracked the glass in the top corner when i dropped it once etc etc.

Now im getting my new iPhone 3G and im of corse this time getting a hardcase for it. But i was just wondering if anyone with any iPhone in a hardcase has dropped there phone (obviously there are people) and what did the hardcase do to protect your iPhone?

Thanks

Ben

2. NiroshanMan macrumors 6502

I would suggest a silicone case since it will be more crash resistant than a hard case, I would also suggest getting an invisible type shield. You can get a good deal for both of these on ebay for $15 or less and its good quality. Don't buy a hardcase cause they scuff up easily, are bulky, don't grip easily and break if you drop them.

3. Nipz thread starter macrumors 65816

Nipz

I heard that the silicon cases trap the dirt and scratch the iPhone to death... not true?

I wouldnt really mind if my hardcase broke as long as the phone was ok. Just didnt know if the iPhone would break aswell as the case. Im def getting a screen protector.

Im in Sydney at the moment (live in the UK) so stuff is cheap over here so im going to get my new case and screen protector for when i get my new iPhone 3G the day i land home :D

4. NiroshanMan macrumors 6502

Ive had no problems with my $5 silicone case for several months, ive used it on my first iPhone and now on my 3G iPhone and have had no scratches from it its really awesome! Its fell several times from 3-4 feet and never had a scratch. I just bought an invisible shield on ebay for $10 and is awesome, i now am assured that i won't get it scratched and it fits even with my silicone case on! i can scratch it with a key and it won't scratch the shield or the iPhone! seriosly though, hardcases suck.

also never get plastic screen protectors, they scratch the screen over time. You have to buy an invisible type shield that can cover the whole body of the iPhone its awesome!

5. Nipz thread starter macrumors 65816

Nipz

Thanks buddy!

I know what im going to buy in the Apple shop tomorrow then!

Now all i have to decide is whether or not to get a pink case??? nah!

6. Vegan TJ macrumors regular

Vegan TJ

its true my first iphone v1 ..i didnt have in a silicon case didnt get scratched up at all ...well with my 2nd v1 iphone i had it in a silicon case and the metal around the glass got scratched all to he11..so with my iphone 3g no case for me all NAKED

7. Nipz thread starter macrumors 65816

Nipz

Dam! I hate it when i dont no what to buy... Would it be wrong to buy both??? lol

I think im just going to have another look in the Apple store and see whats what... god i hate such big choses!!!

8. yeewah macrumors newbie

a classy leather case for your iPhone3G

Get the new leather case for iPhone3G from Knomo. They are available on Apple UK online store. 4 colours to choose from: Black, Red, Ember and Yellow. It looks like the deal when it comes to protecting your iPhone and won't get dirty easily like the silicon ones.

9. Nipz thread starter macrumors 65816

Nipz

I had the leather belkin case for my V1 iPhone and i ripped it to shreds some how so i think im going to stay away from them if i can! But will still have a look tomorrow.

10. NiroshanMan macrumors 6502

Its all up to you man. I personally like the feel of silicone cases and how easy they are to take off. But even if you get a hardcase you can still get an Invisible Shield which is welll worth it! If everything is cheap there, might as well get both. Won't hurt, if it doesn't hurt your wallet :)

11. txr0ckabilly macrumors 6502

i've got a contour hardshell on mine. i dropped the phone on the concrete floor of our shop. i had it on the belt clip and bumped it with my hand and knocked it out of the clip. so really it didn't just drop it was kind of flung to the concrete. the case saved the iphone but not in the way it was intended.

when it hit the ground the case came flying apart in four different directions. the phone was laying there face down, naked as the day it was born. my heart literally stopped for a good 3 seconds. i bent down and picked up my iphone expecting to see a marred, scratched, possibly shattered screen. not a scratch! i put the phone back in the case, put it back in my pocket and threw the belt clip across the shop.

the end

12. Nipz thread starter macrumors 65816

Nipz

Yea it wont hurt the wallet... just the brain deciding whats best for the phone :p

Glad the phone wasnt damaged man... I remember when i cracked my glass when it fell out of my car door... i dont think my heart as started back up again yet!

13. importluva macrumors member

I just got an Agent 18 hard case for my phone yesterday, haven't dropped it yet. Its true that they scuff, but I think hard cases provide good protection, especially to the back of the phone which is now plastic.

I kept my v1 phone naked and never had a problem.

14. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

When it comes to cases, I'm really, really hating the silicon/rubberized cases. Though they provide protection from drops and mishandling, but they tend to collect dirt and dust and require a nightly rubdown. My metal bezel was thrashed by these cases, as well as the black part of the frame on my v1 iPhone. InvisibleShield and BSE would get my vote, with BSE having the better customer service by a mile.