Dropping By to Say Hi! (Also have a question)

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by PowerMac G4 MDD, Dec 30, 2015.

1. PowerMac G4 MDD macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Hey, everyone, it's PowerMac G4 MDD - long time no-see! Some of you guys here may remember me, while others may not (since I see many new faces here at the moment). I left the PPC forums about a year ago, after that $46 PowerBook deal began floating around.

Not only was I a bit bummed about the PowerBook (and almost wished I had left it alone and had not purchased it), I was also needing to drop my PPC [hobby] involvement for a while. Currently, I am still in the process of preparing for colleges and focussing on my career interests. I put my hobby to rest - for the most part - because I felt it was a bit of a distraction for me. I left the PPC forums because it was one large source of involvement and time spent on my hobby. Some months later, I dropped by a few times to read some of the new posts, but kept my mouth shut. I lurk around other parts of MacRumors simply to ask questions about my machines (for example, the 1,1 Mac Pro that I had received).

At the moment, I have moved on from PPC as my main platform. I had actually switched to Intel prior, but I kinda switched back because my only Intel machine was a little laptop. Now, however, I have a 2009 Mac Pro that I was able to obtain for free, and I'm enjoying using it. As for my travels, I have decided to get use out of my MacBook Pro (my first Intel machine) and take that places.

As far as things go, my trusty iMac G5 iSight (20") is the only PowerPC machine that I regularly use. Still, it's nice to at least have one PPC machine to keep current. I enjoy using it as strictly a homework machine when at my work desk.

Anyway, I thought I would drop by after a whole year of being absent, and greet you all once again.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In addition: I actually have a fun project I'm planning, which involves the iMac G5. I thought - heck - nobody else can answer this except for my buddies at the PowerPC Mac forum! I probably won't be taking the iMac to college, so I'm still wondering if this is worth doing... but I've sort of been interested in putting an SSD into my iMac G5 iSight, and I'd like advice on the best SATA SSD for PowerPC Macs that lack proper garbage collection. I've heard that these things can even go as far as not booting from or even not recognizing an SSD, so I want to be sure that I make the right purchase here. Looking to just get a 120GB SSD or so and then velcro it to the inside. The current HDD (which is the Mac's ORIGINAL hard drive) is loud, creates vibrations, and is mega slow.

I also got to thinking about that HDD exhaust fan that outputs the hot air near where the speakers are (on the lip of the iMac - from the underside). From what I know, that fan is simply there to provide air flow for a mechanical HDD... and I have also learned that it makes SO much noise. If I take my Apple keyboard, stand it upright, and then place it over the face of my iMac (resting the keyboard on the iMac's stand), I receive instance muffling of the noise. Since an SSD isn't going to produce the kind of heat a mechanical HDD does, do you guys figure that it wouldn't do harm to disconnect the HDD fan? It would really calm this machine down. It already has two other fans: one for the CPU and another for the GPU or something.

If I can get a good SSD that's fit for this, and if I can safely leave that HDD fan off, things would be golden. I appreciate any help! Glad to stop by here again for old times' sake!

-PowerMac G4 MDD

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Welcome back. Nice to see you again. :)

I cannot answer the question about SSDs (there are others more familiar with the topic than I) but I will just state that I am still PowerPC dominant. I own an Intel Mac and at this point will continue to own them, but until there are no more parts or Macs the majority of my Macs will stay PowerPC.

3. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Thanks anyway for replying; it's good to hear from you as well. If this SSD thing doesn't work, I could try a new Caviar Green. If any mechanical HDD is going to be quiet, it's gonna be one of those.

While I do like PPC Macs, I get machines as I get them. I would never receive a 2009 Mac Pro and toss it to the side. I also used this as a way to liberate myself a bit from my hobby.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Oh, I totally understand that!

I have an 18" Windows 10 laptop at home (with a desk and printer) because my wife won it in a raffle and gave it to me.

I never pass up free tech (or low cost)!

My point was more about when it comes to personal choice and spending my money on that. For the amount of money I've dropped into my QS alone I probably could have afforded a decent later model MBP by now.

I applaud your use of the MP and I hope it's a good experience. The experience I've had on the one at work has been significantly less than good.

5. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Yes, I remember you, and have seen you over in the Mac Pro section. Welcome back :)

No one would turn down a free 2009 Mac Pro, that's for sure. The older Mac Pros (even the first-gen 2006) still make great main machines, and have a lot of upgrade potential.

I am trying to use my dual-core G5 more often. It now has a Radeon X1900 GPU and 4 GB RAM, but also needs an SSD and maybe even a CPU upgrade.

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I don't remember you ( I still consider a 2014 date as new) but welcome back.

I don't know how people are still on PPC these days but I like to follow other's efforts

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

It's pretty easy (for me at least).

I have yet to find anything that my PowerPC Macs cannot do. Oh sure, certain apps and an Intel will do some things faster. But my PowerPC Macs are still capable. Just because Apple introduces faster Macs it doesn't mean that my deadlines or usage changes.

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

How has your experience been for finding parts that get replaced (such as batteries)?

9. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Finding parts has been fairly good. I use eBay a lot. Can't really comment much on batteries though. I have two 17" Macs (PowerBook and MBP) that both have dead batteries. I don't normally use either of these Macs without plugging them in so the batteries have never been replaced.

10. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

@PowerMac G4 MDD I am glad to see you on this forum! The iMac G5 uses similar chipsets and therefore is still bound by the same limitations that a PowerMac G5 would be. Therefore, you are limited to SATA II SSDs if you wanted them to act reliably.

11. PowerMac G4 MDD, Dec 30, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2015

PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Yeah, it's good to accept deals on free things. I love using PPC machines as well, but I can't resist my Mac Pro. I've had great experiences with it so far (and am sorry that your experiences with your work machine have apparently been less than stellar). I, too, use what I get. I would NEVER go out and buy a brand-new Mac whatsoever (unless I somehow won or made a bunch of money all at once); I'm planning on just relying on used/free computers - basically forever. The only new thing I'd possibly consider is a Hackintosh, but we all know that that's more of a headache than just sticking with a real Mac.

12. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

I actually started with the 1,1 Mac Pro some time ago, and ended up replacing my PowerMac G5 with it. The 2009 Mac Pro thing was very recent - and definitely my best score (but I must credit my brother for scoring it and transporting it to my location).

Nice G5! If you haven't seen this website already, check it out: http://g5center.net

^^^ This person wrote a guide on the best SSDs to purchase for PowerMac G5s. I'm hoping that one of these would be good in a G5. Almost bought this 240GB PNY at Best Buy for $80, but I'm gonna wait and do some more research. Thanks for the welcoming!

13. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Glad to have a welcoming from you all! So would the recommended SSDs shown on http://g5center.net potentially be good choices for this?

14. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

That's alright - thanks. I, too, admire those who find use from their PPC Macs. It's not going to be viable to use them while I'm away, but hopefully - further down the road - I can still find uses for them. Besides, this programmer from France is working (slowly but surely) on an operating system for PPC Macs. It's being built from the ground up! I have faith in it because he is a collector himself and wants to use his old PPC Macs again. It would NOT be the same if the guy was just trying to come up with a product in which he wouldn't pour his heart and soul.

15. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

BTW, I was just in Phoenix, AZ a few days ago. Tried looking around on CL for fun; looks like most things (not that there was too much there in the first place) are cheaper around there. For example, the Goodwill there had any-sized CRT TV for $1... whereas, in L.A., a CRT TV at Goodwill would be $40. Picked up a computer desk there for $18 a year ago. I think it would have been around $50-60 in L.A. Heck, brand-new tech products were also cheaper over there. The Best Buy there had my exact Dell monitor for around $50 less.

;) Anyway, I have ASU honors college as a possible choice for design school.

16. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

17. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

LOL!

You missed me. I live in the West Valley. :D

You live in California. It's more expensive there and the reason we moved here to Phoenix from Banning in 2000.

Kind of funny you may be attending ASU at the same time my wife is working on getting a transfer there. ;)

18. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Yeah, I'd recommend an Intel SSD, the firmware is as bulletproof as you'll get in an SSD. I'm using a 320 in my PowerMac G5 without issue.

19. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Hey man! I've missed your posts. Its becoming a realization that my PowerPC hobby needs to be put to rest soon, its costs valuable time and money, and college prep is knocking on my door.

20. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Yeah, things here are extremely expensive. Haha - nice. I already got accepted to the normal school + a fat scholarship offer, but I am still waiting to hear back about the honors college.

21. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

:) I'm happy that people here enjoyed my posts. I miss yours as well! Yeah, I recommend hunkering down on that stuff for now, as it's all too important. By all means, enjoy your hobby - but it's bad if it becomes a distraction. I have somewhat put mine aside in real life AND at the forums, and it has helped a bit. You may even feel refreshed or come back to your hobby later on with a new perspective on things. Best of luck with your future applications, dude.

22. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Cool, then I may consider that SSD for my iMac G5 iSight. Can't wait to see how it will perform! You think I should try disconnecting the HDD fan as well? It seems like it would be useless once the cool SSD is fitted in. That darn HDD fan is the cause of most of the noise emitted from this iMac. From what I can tell, the fan SOLELY for the HDD.

23. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

24. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Thanks - just visiting for a bit!

25. gooser macrumors 6502