Dropping .html from printed links

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by irishgrizzly, Feb 18, 2010.

1. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

2. astroot macrumors regular

Yes, just Google "extensionless url htaccess" and I'm sure you'll find the answer.

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

There are some solutions using .htaccess, but it's likely to have unintended effects that will screw things up.

4. digitalField macrumors regular

i might be wrong, but isn't every extensionless url done via htaccess at one level or another?

so maybe your saying that a quick htaccess tweak thrown into the site might mess up some other things like directories or image files, but when used in frameworks htaccess files can work exactly as intended and clean up urls quite nicely.

M

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Apache-based hosts web sites would, but not all web sites use Apache web server. Some use others like MS's IIS. PHP can also be used as a solution, but it's not as clean as .htaccess.

6. Bostonaholic macrumors 6502

Bostonaholic

Like mentioned above, if your site is hosted using Apache, lookup something called mod_rewrite. In a nutshell, you .htaccess file would have something like this

Code:
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteRule ^mylink/?$ /mylink.html

7. hobbbz macrumors 6502a

hobbbz

If I were you I'd just create a folder and have an index.html file in that folder. This is the less hacky, common-sense way to do what you want.

8. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

It is also incredibly messy and hard to maintain. Plus most sites tend to use dynamic URLs which require the use of mod_rewrite to clean them anyway.

9. lag1090 macrumors 6502

The absolute simplest way to do it without modifying .htacess is to just create a folder called "mylink" where you intend to have the page stored, then move "mylink.html" to the new folder, and finally rename "mylink.html" to "index.html"

Edit:
    It's not quite as difficult to maintain if you have static pages. If you are dealing with dynamic content, it may become a pain, but it's really the only way (that I'm aware of, that is) that would achieve your desired result without modifying .htaccess or other server settings.