Dropping mounted shares

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Killerbob, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Killerbob macrumors 6502a

Hi,

On my MacBook Pro I have set up a bunch of shares to mount upon login. They then are presented by icons on the desktop, all using server "afp://BMK-rnp (AFP)._afpovertco._tcp.local/SHARE NAME". The shares are hosted on my Infrant/NetGear ReadyNAS Pro, which uses the AFP protocol, and advertises the AFP service over Bonjour.

However, when I have had the MBP sleeping for a few hours, not just a few minutes, and I open it back up, it has lost the connection to the shares. I get a message that the server is unavailable, and that the shares are disconnected. I can't do anything about it, except disconnect the shares in the pop-up, open up finder, and click on the "BMK-rnp (AFP)" icon under shared, and then reconnect to the shares.

Is there a way, using std. OSX tools, to "re-connect" to the shares? I have tried a small utility - "Bounjour Mounter" - but I never got it working right.

Thanks in advance,

KB

2. LtRammstein macrumors 6502a

LtRammstein

Try looking into a Bash command/script. I know there's a file under /usr/ that you can edit and it will automatically mount/unmount drives for you.

3. Killerbob thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am afraid I have no idea how to do that, but thanks for the advise. There has got to be a utility (or someone could make money doing so), keeps mounts alive???

KB

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You can't keep mounts awake while your computer is asleep. That's what asleep means.

5. Killerbob thread starter macrumors 6502a

Duh!

Of course I mean that the mounts should be functional even after sleep/wake-up.

It is supposedly exactly what "Bonjour Mounter" is doing, I just can't get it to work.

KB

6. LtRammstein macrumors 6502a

LtRammstein

http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?t=80089

That's if your shared drives are NFS.

The file I was talking about was the fstab file. You'll want to do some Googling to see exactly how it works. At my past job we has an NFS set up and I had to use fstab and a few other files to make sure everyone had access to all the drives from any computer. It's pretty cool to use because from there you can write a bash script (or find one) that will run in the background so when the machine wakes up, it can remount the drives.

7. Killerbob thread starter macrumors 6502a

All,

I never got the very irritating issue resolved.

Every time my MBP is put into sleep (by time, or by closing the lid), when I open it up again, it looses the network shares I have linked on the desktop.

I have a MacBook Air, which is set up identically with regards to the network shares, and on it I have no problems whatsoever:confused:

Is there anything on the MBP which is different in how the AirPort works when it is put into sleep?

KB