Dropping the ball at work

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by BigPrince, Jan 14, 2008.

1. BigPrince macrumors 68020

Has anyone ever dropped the ball at work? I just did and its my first ball that I dropped. No money was lost and I explained my were we were at.

I was told to spec out somethings for broadcasting equipment in October for a school. Why me? No idea really, I think my boss assumed since I do broadcasting at my Church (we broadcast live on TV on Sundays) that this qualified me for specking. Me, being a "yes man" said ok. I am a full time worker and a full time student and I do work doing basic computer maintenance, service and repair along with other responsibilities.

I start the specking the equipment that was provided to me and then before making sure everything was compatible with something I put the project on the back burner to work on something more pressing.

fastforward to this past Friday. I was asked were the specks were. OH ****. I had totally forgotten about the project. So over the weekend on my own time I did the specks from what was provided to me. As I am building this thing in my head I begin to realize that there is some equipment from this list missing and that the equipment requested would be more for a recording studio then for broadcasting. I tried to figure out what else is needed, but at this point it was Sunday and could not get a hold of anyone.

Instead of just trying to push these specks over, I sent an email questioning some things and what our overall goal is for this studio. I sent them the specks of what they requested but suggested we do not push forward until we have a big meeting and I also suggested that we bring a company in and give us a quote once we know what we want to do, and we have a company that would do it for free.

So its been about 3 months, I should of sent this email out 2 months ago, and I would feel ok, but since I forgot I feel like I want to throw up everywhere. Nothing was ordered yet, so no money was spent but now this will delay our studio and thats what I am worried about. Even though its use will not be for profit making ventures, I am still upset with myself for dropping the ball.

Any words of wisdom or encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

I almost feel like quitting my job because I feel like I let down so many people. This project was for a high school broadcasting studio.

2. .JahJahwarrior. macrumors 6502

Cheer up mate, it happens to everyone. I've forgotten so many things....

Just wait until you've got kids, and you leave one of them somewhere and drive a good 20 or 30 minutes away before you realie they aren't in the car....not that I have kids, but it was very interesting seeing how my parents reacted when they forgot my brother at church one Sunday....none of us realized he wasn't with us until about 20 minutes later.... :)

I know it's not easy to cheer up, as I've been rather depressed about some things for almost two months now, and I get sick of people telling me tojust forget about them. But you aren't the only one whose forgotten about something like that, and no need to quit the job--that'd only put them in more of a spot, because you are the only one that knows how this is all "going down" and they'd be somewhat more lost without you right now.

3. BigPrince thread starter macrumors 68020

I have some broadcasting experience but I am not really qualified to speck this whole thing out. I've done the best I could, but it did not help that I had to rush this over the weekend.

The only thing keeping me sane right now is the fact we did not lose any money.

4. .JahJahwarrior. macrumors 6502

Sounds like you are picking up the pieces and making the best of it. In 10 years, you'll laugh about this at Christmas dinner parties.... :)

5. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

The main thing is to make your forgetfulness look like thoughtfulness, and it seems that you have done that! ;) Aside from that, know that there is massive inefficiency from every human being. True greatness has more to do with actually doing what is expected from you than from being transcendent. It's like Woody Allen said, 90% of success is showing up, and that's true because 90% of people don't show up.

So don't worry, learn from it, and do better next time. When you actually find yourself doing everything you said you would on time, then you'll be better than 99% of people. Certainly better than me.

6. BigPrince thread starter macrumors 68020

I feel slightly better. Thanks for the input.

7. avincent52 macrumors regular

If the deadline were that important, people would have been pestering you for progress reports. It's really your boss's responsibility, and he/she should have been following up with you.
    Do your best from here on in, and don't compound the problem by rushing and getting it wrong.
    BTW: a "speck" is a small particle. A "spec" is short for specification.

That said, time, as they say, is money, and a delay can cost an organization huge amounts in lost revenue. Probably not the case this time, but learn to see the big picture and you'll be better at your job.
    From now on, when you get assigned something, write it down on a to-do list, or even a note on ICal or something. I don't so much, but some people really need a visual reminder.

allen