Dropping the numbering on the iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sulliweb, Apr 10, 2012.

1. sulliweb macrumors regular

sulliweb

I had a thought about why Apple might have abandoned the iPad 2, naming system. I know there was a big to do about the fact that the 4S wasn't the iPhone 5. Does anyone think that all the turmoil the name caused may have nudged Apple into doing away with the numbering system? Will we see the new iPhone (no number) released this year?

Not sure if this was the right place to post or not... Just had a wild hare that I was chasing that led me to this.

Just looking for opinions.

2. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I suppose that could be plausible. I also think that eliminating the numbering system makes the name a little cleaner. They never used a numbering system for laptop or desktops, people just refer to them as "early 2010" or "late 2011".

The numbers have always been unnecessary IMO.

3. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

Apple didn't just do this on a whim. They spend a boatload of money on consumer research, and something in that research told them to stop the numbering system.

Some theories as to what the consumer research told them:

1. The numbers are confusing. iPhone 4 vs. iPhone 4S doesn't play in middle-America to non-technophobes. Instead of accentuating one product, it confuses both products.

2. The numbers are tied to the networks. People hear "iPhone 3" they think it's only good on a 3G network. People hear "iPad 3" they think it won't work on the new 4G network they hear about on TV, makes it instantly obsolete.

3. Customers walk into an Apple store and say "I want to buy the new iPad", so naming the product that way makes it clear and easy to buyers.

I'll put my money on #2, personally, but very possible it's #1 too.

BJ

4. cvan44 macrumors newbie

5. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

Indeed. I seem to recall in some Sprint CEO interview that from their research the majority of people thought the iPhone 4 and 4S had 4G because it had the number 4 in it.

6. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

I simply think they're following the same naming scheme as the majority of their other products. iMac, Mac Mini, Mac Pro, iPod touch, iPod Nano (as well as many other Apple products) are known by name alone.

Perhaps the next gen iPhone will be simply known as iPhone. We'll have to wait and see about that! :)

7. whynotgotovegas macrumors member

I still don't know why people have been talking about the numbering system. Not to be a jerk, but it's just the name for a product. To be completely honest I don't like the name iPad, and yet I own one. But then again, it makes a good thread haha.