Dropping wifi while sleeping?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by PeterQC, Nov 6, 2008.

1. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

First, I have to say that my new mac is my first portable, and the first that I own that has wifi build-in (I already installed a router with wifi for my Wii and the DS of sister, but never used wifi for anything else.).

I was just wondering something, when I put my mac to sleep, which happen a lot since I'm using it during school, I always lose all my wifi connection. Is it normal? It really suck to put in my ID and pass at each times.

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

The airport connection is not maintained when the computer is put to sleep, and there isn't a setting to my knowledge that will change that. If you have to re-enter your WEP/WPA passcode each time, make sure that your network name is shown in the list of preferred networks in your Network system preferences, and is the first one by priority. Also check your Keychain Access application and see if the passcode is stored in there or not.

P.S. It can also take about 30 seconds or so for the system to automatically re-establish the wireless connection after waking from sleep.