Drops, whacks, and cracks

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ThirtyThr33, Jul 8, 2011.

1. ThirtyThr33 macrumors 6502

ThirtyThr33

Hey so I am buying a MBP soon and I just wanted to know how durable they are. I have considered a hard case for the possible drop, but I am usually careful with my toys.

I just wanted to hear any stories of dropped MBPs and if they survived or not. I'm trying to make a judgement on wether to buy protection or just let it go naked.

2. iTouch.lover22 macrumors regular

Not a drop, but my MBP 13" was literally stepped on with full body weight by a 160-170cm tall boy, on the lid side up while inside an incase sleeve. It was on top of a folder which was sitting on a wooden bench, so some of that probably asborbed some of the weight. Still, it's a tough little thing. I'd suggest a sleeve or a bag for transporting, but I dont think the shells will do much other than protect from scratches.

3. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

I have Speck cases on my laptops, but there are lots of threads about cases, drops and consequences or lack of... search around and have a look!

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There are more posts/threads here and elsewhere about MBPs getting deformed and dented from small drops then there are people saying they dropped it and it survived.

Aluminum is a malleable metal and dropping the laptop will almost certainly produce damage. :(

5. randomrazr macrumors 65816

get a incase sleeve, you dont need a hardshell.

6. palpatine macrumors 68040

put the backed up (sugarsync + time machine) computer in a hardcase (great because it is on all the time), in a sleeve (http://g-form.com/product/extreme-sleeve-for-laptops/), in a backpack (i am eying the booq), far away from food or drink, with applecare, under insurance.

sure, it costs a little extra this way, and it is a little inconvenient to never eat and drink while using the computer. but, it is a $1,000 + investment full of valuable data. i figure it is worth it.

i sleep easy at night and in a worst case scenario when a neo-luddite maniac enters the library with a sledgehammer and lays waste to all of the computers, i won't sweat it. the mbp is durable. most computers are. but, sensitive electronics are susceptible to damage when abused.