Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThirtyThr33

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2011
Boulder, Colorado
Hey so I am buying a MBP soon and I just wanted to know how durable they are. I have considered a hard case for the possible drop, but I am usually careful with my toys.

I just wanted to hear any stories of dropped MBPs and if they survived or not. I'm trying to make a judgement on wether to buy protection or just let it go naked.

iTouch.lover22

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2009
Not a drop, but my MBP 13" was literally stepped on with full body weight by a 160-170cm tall boy, on the lid side up while inside an incase sleeve. It was on top of a folder which was sitting on a wooden bench, so some of that probably asborbed some of the weight. Still, it's a tough little thing. I'd suggest a sleeve or a bag for transporting, but I dont think the shells will do much other than protect from scratches.

Apple 26.2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2011
What up, 212?!
I have Speck cases on my laptops, but there are lots of threads about cases, drops and consequences or lack of... search around and have a look!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
There are more posts/threads here and elsewhere about MBPs getting deformed and dented from small drops then there are people saying they dropped it and it survived.

Aluminum is a malleable metal and dropping the laptop will almost certainly produce damage. :(

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
put the backed up (sugarsync + time machine) computer in a hardcase (great because it is on all the time), in a sleeve (http://g-form.com/product/extreme-sleeve-for-laptops/), in a backpack (i am eying the booq), far away from food or drink, with applecare, under insurance.

sure, it costs a little extra this way, and it is a little inconvenient to never eat and drink while using the computer. but, it is a $1,000 + investment full of valuable data. i figure it is worth it.

i sleep easy at night and in a worst case scenario when a neo-luddite maniac enters the library with a sledgehammer and lays waste to all of the computers, i won't sweat it. the mbp is durable. most computers are. but, sensitive electronics are susceptible to damage when abused.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.