Drove my first manual gear box.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by shfreelance, Oct 22, 2008.

1. shfreelance macrumors 6502a

I really enjoyed it, not as hard as I thought. I still need to work on slower speeds. I do find going down the road, just at slower speeds... I have a hard time with clutch control. But my friend who was teaching me, has an aftermarket clutch. He says it's allot harder then a factory clutch, so it's not as forgiving. But I want to keep on practicing and really want a manual now.

It's really fun and gives you a since of more control over the car. But I can say this, I would hate to own one in the city.

But all I am saying is, it's not as hard as you think. If your someone who is questioning it. You should give it a try, it's really enjoyable. I can't wait to drive one again. I am even considering trading in my 1997 Acura TL 3.2L, for something more sporty and manual.

2. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

Yeah it is a lot fo fun, and once you learn it you never forget... it's like riding a bike

3. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Ah, the manual transmission... IMO, it's alright, it gives you control over your gears, but I prefer my automatic. No, I'm not lazy, I just feel that the car should do it's fair share of the safe operation of the vehicle ;).

4. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

while at times it sucks in the city after a while it gets to be 2nd nature and one no longer even thinks about it.

Hell you will get to the point where you try to shift automatics as I did today in my POS rental car while my car is in the shop getting repaired from the wreck I got in yesterday.... Stupid piece of crap rental....

While I some times bugs me having to drive a stick in stop and go traffic for the most part I do not really even notices it. Only time it really effects me is when my left knee acts up and hurts. Other wise it just second nature.

It takes pratices to get the starts and the first shift down since that is the hardest part of driving a stick. After that it just takes getting a feel for knowing when you need to downshift into a lower gear. Most people are good at shifting into higher gears but fail to know when to down shift and how much they need to do it.

5. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

go for it man, I'd take stick over auto anyday...as long as the clutch isn't rock solid, city driving isn't that bad either. It make everyday driving more interesting/fun IMO

6. sangosimo Guest

sangosimo

my car does its fair share by listening to my every command.

7. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

im pretty rusty on a manual. what i dont get is how do you accelerate fairly fast when stopped clutch like just accelerating away fast in an automatic if you want to get thru a small gap when turning right (left for RHS drivers).

8. spencers macrumors 68020

spencers

Once you go manual, you never go back! (unless you commute in an area with high traffic)

9. shfreelance thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am looking at a 1993 Chevy Camaro V6, down the road. I figure it would be cheaper to go with a V6 on insurance, since I am 18. I may go look at it tomorrow, maybe I won't have to buy new tires for my Acura :D. But my stepdad and I have a couple of nice LT1's out in the garage to put in. Should be able to rebuild it and drop in a nice motor. I could probably find a nice 6-Speed transmission, to put in the Camaro. I am sure the junk yard will have one...

IDK, what do you think? I am kinda excited, looking on CarDomain. There are some nice setups on there.

10. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

you question is confusing.

If you mean how a manual can get though a gap easier with a clutch and an auto or have to get to pass speed faster than the auto. The answer is no lag time between wanting/needing the power and the car downshifting. You are able to shift right when you need the power to prep before hand so right when you need the power you have it.

Come in handing when passing on a 2 lane road. A lot easier to be in the lower gear than having to wait for the tranny to shift for you.

11. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

sorry that was terrible how i explained it. i meant how do you accelerate off really fast while stopped like from a curb or while giving way. when i try to do it i bunny-hop the car. the only way i can start off from a curb is really slow, so i dont drive manuals in traffic yet.

i guess i just need more clutch practise with the 'sweet spot'? then you can just accelerate off reasonably fast.

automatics are so easy to accelerate off, so while giving way so you can get thru small gaps in traffic while turning right (left for driving on RHS of road).

12. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

a build up sounds like it would be fun. Mabey a tranny from a vette or 02 firebird would work. I also keep hearing about these gm LSX blocks for the LS1, they seem to make for some really nice setups

13. Henri Gaudier macrumors 6502a

Henri Gaudier

Manual is the only way to drive. To be involved, making perfect changes when accelerating out of a bend up hill. Poetry. I lived in Canada and went to buy a car. Faced with this massive lot of hundreds of cars I was told there were less than a handful that were manual! What? I chose a Plymouth. It was like a rudderless battleship after my Volvo in europe. To it's credit though, it never failed me even through an incredible Ontario winter. When I came to sell it... no one was interested. A friendly woman at my LCBO said that she wanted a car for her daughter ... "Bring it round" I really couldn't believe my ears. "Oh ... it's a manual .... no thanks!" Like it was a plague carrier. I'd say Europe and America are polar opposites in this regard. We're 98% manual etc.

14. djellison macrumors 68020

You may be in a car with a tight clutch that only has a small bite-point, but to be honest, to get a smooth quick get-away, just use more gas and be more confident with the clutch.

I'm in the UK - where almost everyone learns on, and then owns manuals, rather than autos.

Doug

15. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Practice. It just takes time get that way. I can hope between manuals and it not be noticiable after a 2 or 3 starts at most. reason for it is it takes me about that long to adjust to the grab point on the clutch.

My last car had a very unforgive clutch it with very little slipping involved in it. So you had to have the time down to work it. My current car it quite a bit more forgiving to rookies because the engine is over powered for the car. When I was test driving for it I drove 5 different manuals that day. It was only the first 2 or 3 shifts before I would adjust.

It just takes time and experience. Part of that experince you have to do in traffic because if you never do it you will never get to that point. I been driving a manual since I got my permit which was a bout 10 years ago now. But I did not get "good" at it until I was driving one every day involving traffic and all that jazz. You just reach a point it because 2nd nature.

16. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

I live in a high-traffic area so, Auto for me. I had a 1992 5-speed Mazda when I moved here, and the clutch was like a rock. My left leg was tired every evening after work, so I went for an auto when I bought a new car and love it :)

17. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

Congratulations on going to the other side--away from what many call "slushboxes". Personally, I've only owned two automatics--a 1962 Oldsmobile and a 1971 Ford Pinto. I drive a 2001 5-speed 330i now. :)

18. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

My experience was strange.

I stalled probably 20 times, I couldn't move the car a foot. Then I got the clutch right, started moving, and didn't have an issue since. No problems on hills. I guess I am somewhat lucky. Supposedly when my mom was a teenager she would take elaborate routes home to avoid having to stop the manual transmission car on hills.

19. timmyb macrumors 6502

I've never driven an auto but from driving manual and seeing automatics, manuals are definitely more fun to drive. It is hard at the start though. In one of my early driving lessons I had a shocker and stalled literally every time I stopped! Needless to say I don't even think about it now, (but I still stall very very rarely.)

20. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

thanks guys. yeh my brothers old car had a crappy clutch. he wont let me drive his new car alone yet! :p ill have to get some lessons from him when he gets back from Qatar.

21. shfreelance thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just went and took a look at the Camaro... It's not in good shape, so I will have to hold on to my Acura for a little longer. Not that there is nothing wrong with my Acura, it's just not me...

22. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

I miss the old manual gear boxes with actual linkages to the clutch and gears that weren't synchronized. They were much more forgiving. I learned to handle a manual with an old Ford beater that we used in the yard for dragging things around, yanking engines (with a boom), and towing stuff home. A yard truck that served it's time as part wrecker, part mountain climber, part dump truck, part everything.

I can climb into any really old truck with a manual, and feel right at home.

But, I had a hard time adjusting to the hydraulic clutches and the synchronized gears. I can drive them fine now. But, I really prefer the older manual transmissions.

Strangely, it seems that the easier they make it, the less I get along with it. Sure, it's near impossible to miss a gear now. But, for some reason, they just don't throw right. It's like playing with a kids toy with no feel.

It's about similar to playing with a baby's Fisher Price steering wheel with horn and shifter (you know the ones that sit on the floor). Sure, it looks similar, but there's just no "feel" in the throw. And, that's what these new transmissions feel like to me.

I feel like I'm just moving a stick through an open slot. Less feedback than moving an automatic through it's gears.

I also don't like the lack of "feel" in the modern clutches. No feedback in the foot. You can find the "friction point", and it easy to repeat. But, you could actually feel that transition point with your foot in the old transmissions.

I guess I just like to "feel" the mechanics of the car. I don't like them hidden and cushioned by electronics and hydraulic fluid.

Of course, I'm the one who likes manual steering over power steering as well. I like the feedback from the road. So, I guess perhaps I'm not the target buyer for these newer vehicles ;)

I do like some of the new cars. But, I miss the feel of the stuff I grew up with.

23. LumbermanSVO macrumors 65816

You would probably love driving a big truck then! Even the new truck still have character when compared to cars. No syncros, 9+ gears, you can actually feel what the shifter is doing. I rarely use the clutch on my KW, floating is the only way to go.

In my SVO Mustang I took apart the shifter handle and removed all the rubber from it and bolted it back together. You can feel everything through it now and it is much easier to float now too!

I once daily drove a '65 F100 with a three-on-the-tree, stock 352 right down tot he oil bath air filter. That thing was a blast to drive. The shift tube had a spiral split in it so you had to be gentle when going into reverse or 2nd. Ahhh, old cars with manual choke's...