Drowning in suggested app banners

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by stevemiller, Jan 18, 2015.

1. stevemiller macrumors 65816

Does anyone else find it ridiculously broken how ios handles the dance between websites and dedicated apps?

Half of everywhere I seem to visit anymore loads a "get our app!" banner every time you visit the site. Sometimes I'll already have the app and the banner will still be there, directing me to the App Store for something I already have.

Other times, it'll be smart enough to auto launch the app. Sometimes that auto launch will have a "return to safari" option. Sometimes it won't.

The most insane behaviour was on my moms iPad, where she gets Pinterest emails in the apple Mail app. the links in the email auto launch safari, which in turn immediate auto launches the Pinterest app. Meanwhile safari completely fills up with literally DOZENS of tabs with no content that immediately auto direct to Pinterest. It's no wonder she often hands me her iPad and says "I don't know how to get anywhere in safari"

I know that it's easy to push blame for a lot of this back to individual sites and developers. But holy heck, can't apple with their much touted walled garden impose a little more sanity, or at least consistency, in all this?

2. noobinator macrumors 601