Drugs ! from the Dr or Herbal .....

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by marbles, Sep 10, 2008.

1. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

I've been getting more and more interested as time go's by in trying traditional herbal remedies (I don't mean the stuff bought in pill form from shops) the kind of remedy made from herbs and plants picked from the wild

Do you take what is prescribed by your GP or do you seek alternatives ?

I use raw garlic for circulation , sage for bad breath , black pepper or onion seeds for wind/bloating , wild honey on stings ........etc

What alternatives do you use ? or do you think medicine should only come from a Dr 's prescription ?

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

From the doctor - it's undoubtedly safer. I won't touch those "natural" remedies.

3. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Doctors don't tend to support herbal use, so get from a good herbal store. BUT read up on them, and check the side effects and other issues with Prescript drugs.

2 Threads on the same thing? Did someone hit submit twice? :rolleyes:

4. marbles thread starter macrumors 68000

marbles

safer than Garlic for circulation as opposed to say Asprin for instance ?

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Actually, I use both, in that I see my GP (doctor) reasonably regularly (an annual check-up, and additionally, if there is a need) and I also read about, and sometimes use, herbal remedies.

In general, I try to eat a healthy diet which is almost entirely organic; (but obviously, not quite completely so, since I drink - sometimes, quite a bit - and snack at week-ends on crisps and similar rubbish and thoroughly enjoy it). Anyway, the remedies you mention, I use, and also use Tea Tree oil when I travel (and I travel a lot); it's anti-viral/anti-bacterial/anti-fungal, etc. and it is quite potent; some others swear by lavender, and I'm a bit of a fan of garlic in all of its forms.
    Cheers

6. marbles thread starter macrumors 68000

marbles

oops ,thanks for the heads up , I was trying to submit a poll after starting the thread :eek: how can I delete the other thread ?

Anyway ...I've been reading on this for some time now , it's a subject that has really interested me most of my life, going for a more natural approach , I especially avoid supposed herbal remedy's from 'health food stores' etc because most are laced with additives to preserve the shelf life ... I only try something if I am 100% certain of it's safety /origin , I don't go licking frogs or anything like that :)

7. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I try to never go to the doctor except for my children's immunizations.

Garlic is a cure all as is olive oil. Garlic marinated in olive oil is an excellent antibacterial and has saved us numerous trips to the doctor for earaches. Aspirin is very good for you as well, for circulation and for infections.

Doctors want to give prescription drugs and very few know about nutrition or natural healing. My doctor told me I needed zantac for stomach problems. Long story short, I didn't have enough stomach acid. I quit the doctor and picked up some probiotics and have been fine ever since. Another time, my doctor insisted on removing my son's tonsils; I took care of him myself (aspirin, olive oil, Vit C, and some homeopathic treatments) and his tonsils have shrunken considerably. He will not need surgery. (My doctor looked at me like I was crazy.)

I’m not against doctors, but I think we rely on them way too much.

8. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Yes. In the event where a atherosclerosis is an issue (for example), the proper pharmaceuticals would most certainly be safer than garlic, as garlic has not been shown to be a reliable course of treatment.

An study sponsored by the National Institutes of Health found that the consumption of garlic in any form did not reduce cholesterol levels, which can lead to atherosclerosis. Link

The garlic won't kill you, but the lack of a proper treatment might.

9. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I suppose the advice "read the label" and the list of ingredients is too obvious to state, -wherever you shop - but it's what I do.

Rather than food, - which I tend to buy at farmers' markets, I use reputable health stores for things such as washing powder/washing up liquid, etc. (Ecover is one brand that I have found to be good) and other stuff such as shampoo (the standard stuff sometimes found in mainstream stores can have grim ingredients). Not all of the health stores are god - some are charlatans - but the best of them have a good track record by now. Like you, I take the view that it is a good idea to note what one puts on, or into, one's body.
    Cheers

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I don't mind going the herbal route for minor problems. For anxiety I would have some Kava, for headaches I'd just drink more water (but they're always dehydrated headaches with me). For hayfever I just drink (locally produced) honey & lemon.

But for more serious ailments nowt beats them real docs.

11. tyranna macrumors regular

tyranna

another thumbs up for using both. for topical application, i'm fond of using tea tree oil, lavender and peppermint. although peppermint is the only herb i use in leaf (tea) and essential oil form. yes, i've done the research and i'm well aware that (perhaps) the effects of herbal remedies are simply 'all in your head', but i don't let it stop me from using them. all i know is that these three never fail me. :)

i also like to use:
    -lemon & honey for sore throats
    -i use garlic and chilis in almost every meal.
    -and drink lots of water.

and like redwarrior, i don't see the doctor all that often. in fact, i can't remember the last time i had to have a prescription (antibiotic or otherwise) handed to me–it's been years!

for what its worth, i don't take any other over the counter meds except for ibuprofen (advil) and naproxin (aleve).. oh, and alcohol, but i don't think that counts. ;)

12. marbles thread starter macrumors 68000

marbles

Howya :)

I'm similar in approach , ...I eat food that is high in fat / sugar sometimes , I like it too , it's nice :) a bit of what you like and all that ...
    but I avoid ( or try to) the crisps/chocolate etc unless they contain no additives at all ,reading labels in shops took ages at first till I knew what brands are 'safe' (ie:all natural)

yeah the Tea Tree is great stuff , like the Lavender too , used a little mixed with mint and hot water , just vaporising to help me sleep through a cold ....I was using some of that Makuna honey mixed with Turmeric powder recently , and that worked a treat too ...

13. Afini macrumors member

Herbal/natural for day to day, doctors for anything that could possibly be considered serious.

Relying on doctors too much isn't a good habit, but letting what would have been an easily treatable ailment turn into something expensive, or fatal, is worse. :D

That being said, some doctors just don't care/are in it for the money, and choosing a good doctor will save you from many a headache and empty wallet! :rolleyes:

14. marbles thread starter macrumors 68000

marbles

Thanks for your input , I agree about the Doc's , I'll have to google the "Kava" ,sounds interesting .

I swear by fresh mint teas ,awesome power for sorting out my troubled tum , I drink that every day , and Garlic is well liked in my house , you can smell it as you reach the door , even a block away sometimes
    :D
    I couldn't agree more , I'm not a nut here guys , I just wanted opinions , ideas , remedy's that worked for you :)
    I myself have had an operation and take occasional pain killers and will probably be having some more treatment in the not too distant but , yeah , I'd do it a herbal way if could ,only if it was safe mind .

Although I know it's the only point of reference , the medical/drug supervisory councils , the various institutes etc ,ultimately who pays these institutions ? is it the government , us , or is it the pharmaceutical companies ? , who really knows ......I'm going off topic , sorry ...... anyway , there are thousands and thousands of years of knowledge out there , passed down ,involving use of plants and that must count for something .

I really do think that there is a place for both styles of medicine to work together , even compliment each other as opposed to how it appears to be now all to often where herbal knowledge and a modern Dr's knowledge collide which leads to no progression in some of the health problems we face as a people although fantastic sometimes , modern medicine is exactly that ,modern , it has little years in practice opposed to many thousands

I agree completely.

I'd love to hear anyone's genuine remedy's that work for the ' day to day' health issues we all get from time to time , maybe we can all keep the doctor at bay by sharing a herbal remedy's in this thread .....be good that .

.... thanks :)

15. marbles thread starter macrumors 68000

marbles

I'm with you on the food , funny you mention Ecover , we used that for a while , then thought that it might not actually be much better than the other washing powders / detergents so my partner and I started using traditional 100% soap flakes mixed up in hot water first till dissolved and then added to the wash when the machine has started its cycle ........every few washes we mix in a couple table spoons of bicarb which helps clean things along nicely , £2:00 a box for the flakes and about £1 for big box of the bicarb ...saves us a packet :D , lasts ages and we have two kids ....do the (occasional) boil wash but not often tbh and our clothes are always nice and sparkly ...I should be selling the stuff.....seriously , though , it's good :)

Going to try doing a batch of home made soap soon so shampoo has all but gone now from our place ...same wit the toothpaste , found better , safer , more natural alternatives ... I mean usually `I cant pronounce over half the ingredients in some stuff lol , it's crazy really ....in a hundred years they'll be like " they really washed themselves with that "!!

16. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Fact is, the two can and do coexist together, so long as both are proven treatments. Doctors would gladly use natural treatments, however, many fail to meet the high standards required for the medical profession.

As for the ancient medicines you speak of... that mindset is really based on a logical fallacy (the argument from antiquity, to be exact). Just because they've been around for 1000's of years, doesn't mean they actually work or should be trusted. If they were legitimate treatments they would be backed by science, and wouldn't need to resort to their long-standing history.

17. tyranna macrumors regular

tyranna

i love peppermint and always have a stash of it here at home and at work. however, at the office i prefer to use the bagged variety for convenience, while at home i generally prefer to steep loose tea in a teapot. i find that peppermint tea is a great remedy for over-indulgence (indigestion) and low-grade headaches. for a more serious headache i will usually resort to peppermint essential oil added to a warm tub. if i don't have access to some tea, i'll even use a peppermint candy (or gum) to alleviate stomach trouble.

:D i agree that garlic is tastes good and is good for you!

18. marbles thread starter macrumors 68000

marbles

It's true they do coexist , of sorts ...but not all doctors are open to this aproach at all in my experience I'd personally would like to see more 'traditional' methods used , the trouble is that , yes , there are high standards in the medical profession and rightly so but some things on this rock on which we reside cannot just be explained away by science , that too is 'modern' in relation to our home ....don't know really what to say just that we don't know everything yet...a few hundred years ago some Dr's where being disciplined for washing there hands! ...what I mean is that we learn as we go ......we humans as a race are puppy dogs really when you look at it and there is so, so much we don't yet understand .

Peppermint all the way ...I've started growing a good few different variety's this summer , ginger mint is standing out as particularly yummy :D.... used the peppermint oil for clearing the ol' nasal passages a time or two ...just breath the vapours , seems to work for me

Getting hungry now for something garlicky :p

19. tyranna macrumors regular

tyranna

:eek: while i've got two thumbs.. sadly neither of them are green.

i'm not fond of ginger, but i would definitely sample some ginger mint. i forgot to add that i like chamomille sometimes before bed. also, i never add sweetener to tea–not even honey.

ok, all this tea talk is getting to me. i think i'll go enjoy some now.

20. marbles thread starter macrumors 68000

marbles

Mint will grow , just give it a drink if dry and it'll spread to cover a big area in no time ...keep mine potted because of this........... ...most of the mints I've tried to grow have a subtle ginger or lemon or whatever flavour mixed with mint...kinda nice that it grows so fast too , cut it for a few brews and the next week its up again and we have rubbish weather here ! , Just had a thought , mint kebabs with minty spice sauce ...oohh now I'm getting hungry and it's 1:30 am oops,
    gotta have a bit of honey sometimes though, usually in the morning to give me a nice wake up, Chamomile , now I'd like to try to grow that .....I tried some factory made and it was really nice ...yeah , doing that ..... *scurries off to gardening website and make a brew

21. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

For as to herbs that I use on a daily bases, Garlic in the minced form, green tea extract. I have used grape-seed extract as well as Ginkgo Biloba.

22. marbles thread starter macrumors 68000

marbles

What benefits do you see from using these ? thanks .

23. marbles thread starter macrumors 68000

marbles

We're getting that way , prevention is better of course so yeah , loads of fresh garlic an the like I think the Garlic would work well for circulation/antibiotic with no need for the Asprin unless it has some other benefits ...I'm only learning here so bear with me :)
    Almost certainly there is always something to treat almost everything but not all is 'approved' ....just works sometimes and others not ...all part of the mystery for me ...I'd like to properly study the subject at some point in time.
    Fair play now for not going for the Tonsil Op , I couldn't do that yet , not enough knowledge.

Yep , I agree it's all too easy for the doc to sign the script and half the time the medicine doesn't appear to treat the cause of illness just the symptom and the side effects ....another thread maybe .

I'm looking at probiotic's & major green leafy veg binge myself soon as it happens .....any links for reliable probiotic info at all ?

Your doctor looked at you crazy for that ... some of my family look at me like that for refusing food with additives/non natural ingredients in it ............... they even try and persuade me to
    " just let em have[insert dodgy food here] " .......wait till I've learned to be a propper herbalist , they'll think I've gone doolallyflip :)

cheers

24. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I take iMa-Knight's point on ginger; anyway, as with peppermint, I actually like it, and have no problem using it.

There is another pretty obvious point I'd like to make re "traditional" remedies concerning vitamin C; I start each day with a squeezed lemon, and usually have a couple of oranges and/or grapefruit to follow. It may sound like a cliche, but oddly enough, it does seem to work in staving off colds, and offering some substitute for the much needed glory of the sun.

In parts off the coast of rural Ireland, some people spoke highly of carrageen (a form of seaweed) as a cold/chest infection remedy; it is now available in good health stores, and seems to ease the symptoms, rather than curing them outright.

Cheers

25. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Garlic for working on Cholesterol, and it does work. Green tea for anti-oxidant, the grape-seed, anti-oxidant as well. The Ginkgo for memory help.