Drum Recording

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Maximilian, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Maximilian macrumors newbie

Hey guys,
    I'm gonna get straight to the point. I am a drummer, and i would like to record my drum tracks. I have a mac, with logic. I also have 8 mics to record my drumming. The only thing missing is sound card, to connect everything to my mac. Could anyone suggest one, that if possible could be bought in Europe. I'm hoping to do multi channel recording and therefor look for something from 8 - 10 mic inputs.

Thanks in advance!

2. paulwells73 macrumors newbie

Check out the MOTU 8 pre ($550) or the Presonus Firestudio ($500).

3. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

+1 for 8pre.

Have recorded drumkit with 8 mics using this with GarageBand and Logic Pro 8. You can even daisychain a few together (or to other MOTU interfaces) via ADAT if you want more inputs (but I've not tried this).

All inputs are balanced/unbalanced combo TRS/XLR. Phantom power can be switched on/off for individual channels. Mac-friendly and (now) Leopard-compatible.

Downside is that the small input level knobs and low-res LED meter makes setting the level a bit fiddly.

HTH
    SL

4. paulwells73 macrumors newbie

How do the pres on the MOTU sound? I know they won't compare to Neve or Daking or some other high-end pres, but do they sound professional?

5. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

They sound fine to me but you're probably asking that question to the wrong person. I've not really compared the sound quality of the 8pre to anything else. The write-ups I read before I bought it were pretty positive on the pre-amps, though.

SL

6. Maximilian thread starter macrumors newbie

7. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    i think either will do you fine.

the more important aspects to the overall sound of your drum recordings will be:
    the room
    the mics
    mic placement
    quality/tuning of drums and heads

and, of course, your drumming.

i happen to enjoy working with drummers who've recorded their own rigs...usually makes my job much easier.