Drunk pilot arrested

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by yg17, Nov 11, 2009.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

2. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

It's pretty sad that this sort of thing isn't all that surprising anymore. :(

3. william sire macrumors regular

william sire

A pilot should realize his responsibility it too great to drink before a scheduled flight. But then the sickness of alcoholism doesn’t allow you to recognize the weight of your responsibilities nor the grave consequences not matter how far reaching to so many more people.

4. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

I wonder if police make suspected drunk pilots do all those absurd exercises that police make drivers do when they stop them on the road...Interesting to see a pilot:

--Say the alphabet backwards (trouble doing that sober)...
    --Touch your nose while standing on one foot...
    --Walk a straight line without faltering...

Also, if a plane is pulled over by police, do they ask for license and registration?

5. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

Well, I would be completly f****** mad at that captain! If I was a passenger

He is risking the lives of over 100 passengers!:eek:

Does he have any sense of caution?:confused:
    :mad:

6. james.hays macrumors newbie

Drinking and flying has little to do with being drunk, blood alcohol content or anything of the sort. Regulation states that you can't have touched a drink in the previous 8 hours or have .04 percent by weight or more alcohol in the blood.

And yes, if a plane is pulled over by the police, or TSA or any government ramp rat, they do ask for license and registration, as well as the Airworthiness certificate, operating handbook, and the weight and balance of the plane. Of over seas, they also have to provide a radio license.

Just so you know...

7. carlgo macrumors 68000

If the pilot had a teeny residual amount of alcohol then who would notice? Either he was clearly tipsy, or he was ratted out by someone who saw him drinking less than eight hours before, or there is some sort of breathalizer test they all take.

8. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Isn't that contradictory? You say it has little to do with blood alcohol content, and then that regulations prohibit over a certain percentage blood alcohol content.

(And I am immature enough to find it funny reading the thread title, imagining how the plane would be pulled over? Did the police plane pull up behind and flash their lights? If the pilot didn't stop, they would have had a hell of a time deploying stingers.. If they ask the pilot to recite the alphabet, would KLM pilots have an unfair advantage?)

9. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

If I were pulled over (in the US) I would request proof that I was talking to an FAA Inspector, since the police and TSA have no jurisdiction to ask for any of the ARROW documents (nor would they have any clue what those documents actually mean). If a police officer asked for my license, I'd show him my drivers license and remind him that there is no such thing as a pilots license. If an FAA Inspector asked for my pilot certificate, I'd comply with that and my medical certificate.

10. skywarn macrumors newbie

RE: James Hays

I knew a james hays who would regularly fly drunk and under the influence of marijuana...he lost his corporate flying job as a result...sounds like you might be the same guy...if not, watch out cause they will be looking at your name because of him...He went by the name "steve" hays

I'm wondering if this is the same Sierra Hotel?:eek:
    Someone better call the faa!