Dry application Skin for rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lazer155, Aug 7, 2012.

1. lazer155 macrumors regular

Does anyone know where to get a dry application skin for the rmbp? I would also like the skin to have pieces to cover the sides of the computer and have a lifetime warranty like wrapsol does were they replace it for free if you ever have to remove it or if you mess up the installation and need a new one to try again.

I don't want the skin to be too thick because I plan to put it in a hard case. I've looked at invisibleShield, Wrapsol, and BestSkinsEver. All of those seem to requrie a wet installation. After having read the thread another member posted about being afraid to apply a wrapsol (because of the water involved in the application process), I am now also afraid I will trip a water sensor. That is why I am trying to find a dry application skin.

Based on my experiences with invisibleShield and BestSkinsEver on my ipod touch 4th gen, I have found those two to be very thick and not good for fitting hard cases on afterwards. Is it the same case with the rmbp? Does anyone have any experiences with invisibleShield, wrapsol, or BestSkinsEver on their rmbp? I'd really really like to avoid a wet application but am willing to try if others had good experiences.

2. WindWaker macrumors regular

Maybe iCarbons or Bodyguardz?

3. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

I just watched the wrapsol application video and it doesn't look like the liquid can really get inside the device. If you're really concerned, I would just suggest not applying the inside ones, just the ones on the back and bottom.

4. WindWaker macrumors regular

Yeah, I don't think the water is a huge deal, you just need to be careful to avoid ports when spraying and don't push the solution in when removing it with the card.

5. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Another thing to consider using is painter's tape. It can be used to cover the speaker holes and the keyboard during application and will come off clean.

6. lazer155 thread starter macrumors regular

Do you know how either of those feel? I would prefer a feeling similar to the bare aluminum of an un-skinned macbook or a slick smooth glass feeling. I don't like the orange peel effect very much. Do you know if either of those can have a hard plastic case snap over them something like the kuzy case? http://www.amazon.com/Kuzy-MacBook-...uminum/dp/B005G88RC4/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Yeah the main areas I am worried about are the area on the inside and the bottom. I'm worried about the bottom because that is where most of the water sensors are.

Do you know where to get side coverings for the edge of the mbp? The wrapsol doesn't come with those.

Definitely. If I do wind up using a wet application, I will be using painters tape and maybe a bit of tissue paper to help soak up any stray water droplets before they touch the body and have a possibility of getting in near the seams.

7. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Another thing to consider if you're really paranoid is to put the machine in (a big enough) bag of rice. Seriously. Rice absorbs almost all moisture.

I really think you're worrying too much. I doubt the water droplets are small enough to fit in anything besides the keyboard and speaker holes, and even then I highly doubt they will do any damage (or even touch the water sensors).

8. lazer155 thread starter macrumors regular

But once the water is inside, wouldn't the sensors trip before the rice could pull it back out? I'm not concerned with the computer receiving actual damage from the water because if it did I know I could probably save it by drying it out really quick with rice or silica packets. The main thing I am worried about is the water sensor activating and my applecare being voided later on if I take it in a for a repair and they open it, seeing the active water sensors.

I kind of thing I am worrying to much too because it's just a couple sprays of water on the skin and I think I could manage the water with tape and a rag. I've done wet applications on my ipod touch and I kept the water away from the edges but that only had one sensor way in the headphone jack that is pretty hard to wet accidentally.

Is there a rubber seal on the bottom removable plate?

9. kimovski macrumors regular

today, just applied bestskinever on my rmbp, the top and botton need to apply a little more water in order that you can slide the skin and fit well. I just use a towel to absorb all the water when i use the card to push the remaining bubbles and water. Then later i use the hairdryer specially on the botton case to dry it more fast. If you are still not confident, you can push the cpu and gpu like hell making the unibody warn/hot to dry it.

If you carefully will be fine. :)

10. Thors.Hammer macrumors member

I am using the 3M skin from icarbons.com. I bought the black carbon bottom and top. I didn't do the sides or insides. Easy to apply. Good price. The black looks great. I am sure the other colors do too.

See http://www.icarbons.com/collections/featured/products/macbook-pro-15-retina-black-carbon-fiber

11. mat25 macrumors regular

mat25

iCarbons also sells an Aluminium coloured skin, if you want it to look as if it wasn't there.

12. tatyiona macrumors regular

tatyiona

I just ordered from decalgirl. I like it and they have fast shipping.

13. lazer155 thread starter macrumors regular

14. WindWaker macrumors regular

For those of you that use iCarbons or Bodyguardz for the rMBP, do any of you know if removing the skin leaves residue on the Mac?

15. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

You could buy the Invisible Shield from Zagg.com and have Best Buy install it for $15...if you can trust them!

16. soundtracker macrumors member

If its 3M Di-Noc material (iCarbons uses this, not sure about other places), it removes cleanly without gunk.
    FAQ says no residue: http://www.icarbons.com/pages/faq2

17. WindWaker macrumors regular

Does Best Buy sell Zagg for the rMBP?

18. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

Nah.. they don't. You'll have to buy it from Zagg.com but BB will install it [ with free re-installs for life ] for $15.

19. WindWaker, Aug 8, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2012

WindWaker macrumors regular

Woah! I didn't even know Zagg made protectors for computers :eek:

Hmmm.... I wish somebody left a review of one of them, so I can know just how thick/odd it feels...

20. Tremulant macrumors newbie

I used the BodyGuardz clear protector on my MacBook Pro for a long time and I loved it. To answer your questions:

Feel:
    It definitely feels like there is a protector on your computer, but I like the way it felt. It added a lot of grip, but it still felt smooth to the touch. My favorite part was that when it got scratched, it would heal itself over time.

Install:
    It is a wet install, and you can do it dry if you want, but I wouldn't recommend it. Most installation gels are alcohol based so they evaporate really quickly anyways. I have installed a lot of protectors on my phones & laptops, and I've always used gel and never had any issues. I've even soaked my phone speaker with the stuff and it didn't ruin it.

Removal:
    I was amazed at how clean my macbook was after removing the skin. It does stick very well and can be tough to peel off, but there was hardly any residue, and what little there was rubbed off easily with my fingers.

Overall I really loved it and only removed it to but a carbon fiber skin on. I haven't tried ZAGGs protector for the macbook but I've always liked Bodyguardz because their service is awesome, and Zagg's support is abhorrent.

Hope this helps!