Dry-install back protector?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by daitalianjob, Oct 7, 2012.

1. daitalianjob macrumors regular

Anyone know of a good dry-install back protector for the iPhone 5? I know you'll say search the forum, but it seems all I can find is wet-install or colored skins, which I don't want. I want one that pretty much looks like a front screen protector. Switcheasy has one, but it only covers the aluminum part and I want one that covers the whole back...anyone know of one that's comes in a front and back set? Thanks :) you guys always come through.

2. Smigit macrumors regular

3. daitalianjob thread starter macrumors regular

I was looking at that one, but the whole 3 pieces thing makes me weary...I'd prefer one piece, but I'm not sure if that's available since the aluminum may require a different type of material to stick. Thank you, though :)

4. imazu macrumors regular

i have that on my iphone now. i also have the matte whole body which is wet application. I only use the wet application for the sides. the back i used the 3 piece.

5. Smigit macrumors regular

Theres also Wrapsols

http://www.wrapsol.com/apple-iphone5.aspx

They have an option to order just the back from the drop down. Not sure what the quality is like of it, but I think some people here like them and they are generally well received. No personal experience but.

6. daitalianjob thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm that does looks pretty enticing...Does anyone have this already and can post pics?

7. mariotr87 macrumors regular

I think you should look at wet install options.They are easier to install, the results are better (no bubbles etc) they are 1 piece and also they are harder to peel off over time. If the surface was smooth (like the front) dry options are good, but when it's not, using water is the way to go for best results.

Best Skins Ever is my favourite.

Water won't damage the aluminium at all if that's your concern (I had one of these installed on mi iPad, just replaced it 2 days ago, and the aluminium was in mint condition).

8. michael31986 macrumors 68030

Any stores sell back screen protector or maybe some kiosks?

9. edtorious macrumors 65816

edtorious

I too am looking for this, I wish they have the glass material for back protectors also.

----------

Looks interesting, it's just weird the way they have those tabs on the side for supposedly easy application, but when I saw actual installation of the people, they are actually having a hard time because of the tabs. :(

10. PhaserFuzz macrumors 6502

I have this installed. The 3 back panels were a pain to install. I finally got it matched up perfectly, but the apple logo and iPhone wording on the back causes bubbling. I don't think there's anyway to avoid this since the lettering is slightly raised. The matte finish on the back does feel nice though.

11. Psycho Mantis macrumors member

Could you post some pics? I'm curious to see how this looks. :D

12. brokenbuyer macrumors regular

Not sure if Wrapsol remade their cut yet?
    BSE is a nice cheap option that works for many.

Bodyguardz is also nice (will be posting a review in ~3 more days, to let the skin settle in). It is also one piece and looks great.

Phantomskinz is a good choice in clear/matte.

New SGP is nice as well.

For the back, you really want to opt for a wet/gel install. With a dry install, it'll be stickier due to the different textures, and you'll get a lot more bubbles (around the raised Apple logo, iPhone, the creases between glass/aluminum). With a wet/gel install, you can bypass this.

It's your opinion, but really, wet/gel installs are no biggie to me.

13. LittleGwen macrumors 6502

I think if you're looking for dry install, it has to be 3 piece because there are slight gaps between the glass and aluminum backs, so if it's 1 piece, it'll definitely cause bubbling between the gaps. Same reason why the apple logos bubble, since they are slightly raised. If you don't want any bubbling, go for wet install. If you don't like wet install, you kinda have to live with the bubbles since that's the nature of dry installs.