Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlakTornado

Original poster
Apr 24, 2007
Washington, OH
I'm looking for a DRY (Don't Repeat Yourself) solution for showing my videos on my website. I have around 70 individual videos that I have made over the course of the last 3 years, and the last thing I want to do is create 70 unique pages for all of these videos.

Does anyone know of a way to have it automatically done for me by using some sort of template to input all the data into? Something like Django but for video content specifically, and doesn't require using the Command Line of the server (since I don't have access to it as I am only using a host, and not my own servers)

I just don't fancy spending hours putting data tediously into HTML documents, time after time...

Thanks!

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
Something I've done for recipes and artwork is to store information about them in XML, so it acts as a database. Then you can have something like PHP do the processing for you, perhaps based on the arguments in the URL (e.g., site.com/video?vid=45). PHP will look up which video file and place it into some template HTML page you have.

I did it in XML because I was practicing with XML and XSL, but most people would likely choose storing the information in an actual database. You could always store the information in a flat file (plain text) if you're comfortable parsing the file. There's options out there if you're not up to coding this yourself, just head to Google and start searching.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.