Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zap2

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
So now that the browser for the DS lite is out in the USA(DS Phat Browser is online only), I can pick it up. Its never been a big need for me, and with the iPhone coming its even less of an issue.

However I'm planning on going to Europe this summer(the 26th of June), and want a way to email home. So I think why not DS browser...but what about the PSP? I'm planning to get a PSP soon because of the new Star Wars Battlefront, but there is not a huge rush.

I'm willing to buy a PSP, the money is less of an issue, if the browser is better then the DS. Which is faster? Which is easier to type with? Easier to browser with? Anyone have both? If so which do you like more? Does either browser support features the other doesn't?

Edit--Found AIM on PSP here http://www.aimonpsp.com/......will that work with DS, or is the DS lacking internet protocols to allow it to run? Also what is the keyboard like on the PSP?

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
I would assume the DS probably has a better, more mouse-like interface. PSP will almost certainly render faster and show more. DS will probably be easier to type on. I don't know whether the PSP supports Flash or not, but the DS does not.

This is all hypothetical, I have not used either. I do have a MSN for DS homebrew app, and it works great.

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
Sounds like the DS browser is VERY SLOW.

If you had to pick, you probably should choose the PSP one, of course that's from what I have heard and read.

Personally, I use a Palm TX for my WiFi connectivity needs. It has a competent POP/IMAP e-mail client and the web browser can render sites pretty decently. Of course the iPhone still appears to be the best mobile Internet device yet.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
applekid said:
Sounds like the DS browser is VERY SLOW.

Sounds like? After using both I can confirm on my 512kbps connection that they're both equal in speeds. Which are themselves similar speeds to my phone and Pocket PC browsers.

Anyroad. For email and message checking I'd go for the DS browser purely because text entering on the PSP browser is a nightmare and simply miles faster on the DS. For image-heavy usage or Flash support I'd go for the PSP, but it ends there. Usability wise it's a notch or 2 down.

Shadow

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
The PSP browser is rubbish, it'll frequently run "out of memory", even if memory conserve is on. And its rendering is crap...

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
The PSP browser is rubbish, it'll frequently run "out of memory", even if memory conserve is on. And its rendering is crap...

With more memory, a larger screen, and a FREE pricetag, the only reason I would choose DS is if I couldn't stand not using a stylus. However, I like the PSP browser, and would recommend it...... :cool:

AppleGuy08

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2006
Sacramento, CA
i have both the nintendo DS and PSP. While i do not have the DS browser and have never personally experienced it, i have read several reviews and seen a few videos of the DS browser in action. I would say go PSP all the way. Sure the text input can be obnoxious at times, but atleast the PSP has flash support + a nice big screen and a nifty mouse cursor/button thingie. You can also download images frrom most any website and view or use them as a background. This goes for psp formatted video as well.

zap2

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
I got the ds browser......I could not stand the psp keyboard set up. The other pluses i heard were free, which mine would not have been, more like 170 vs 35. And downloading stuff which is not something i think i would use. and bigger screen, but the overview on the ds works as well f not better.

Over all i like the ds browser...not nearly as slow as some made it out to be. also typing is very easy. and the stylus works well

Also I typed this from my ds lite!!

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Nice one :cool:
For functionality and usability the DS browser is way up there aint it!

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
it sounds like you're going to be getting an iphone, so why not use that for email? you'd need a hotspot for a ds/psp anyway, so why not use the iphone for internet/music?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
^
However I'm planning on going to Europe this summer(the 26th of June), and want a way to email home.

Also Zap, I should have said for the same price as the browser you could have picked up an M3 and got a slew of homebrew apps to cover POP3 email and instant messaging (Aim and MSN, even supports ink mode!). But there's no decent homebrew web browser out yet so you'd sacrifice all that.f

asxtb

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2005
I got the ds browser......I could not stand the psp keyboard set up. The other pluses i heard were free, which mine would not have been, more like 170 vs 35. And downloading stuff which is not something i think i would use. and bigger screen, but the overview on the ds works as well f not better.

Over all i like the ds browser...not nearly as slow as some made it out to be. also typing is very easy. and the stylus works well

Also I typed this from my ds lite!!
I can see it doesn't help your typing. :D ;) J/k I'm sure the typing would be much worse with a PSP or you'd still by typing it. I'm looking at picking up the DS browser myself sometime in the near future.

And just to nitpick a little... If you are already buying a PSP for Star Wars Battlefront then the 170 is a sunk cost so it would be more like 0 vs. 35.

zap2

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
I can see it doesn't help your typing. :D ;) J/k .....you'd still by typing it.

What was that ;)

And just to nitpick a little... If you are already buying a PSP for Star Wars Battlefront then the 170 is a sunk cost so it would be more like 0 vs. 35.

However, I'd still have to put out for the PSP, which I didn't really want to. Plus the whole PSP Slim rumors turned me off from buying it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.