DS Homebrew??

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by paul.b.davis, Dec 18, 2007.

1. paul.b.davis macrumors 6502

paul.b.davis

Does anyone here have one of those flashcard things for the DS that allows you to use homebrew software?

I am looking at this one to do this.

Just wanted to get a mac user's insight because most of their forums are dominated by PC people and I do not want to have to put XP on my MBP just to use one of these

Thanks in Advance!!

2. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Oh, I've been using the M3 since the original version, almost right after it came out. Back before Slot 1 cards existed, I had to use a PassMe and flash the DS firmware to use it :)

I quite like it, but beware; the M3 stores saves in special places (since GBA games automatically save to saveram, the M3 then copies it to it's special directory so games don't conflict), and if you don't use their special software to add homebrew/roms to the device, then you won't be able to save!

And their special software is Windows only :( So you'll want to use Windows to add applications. You can still manipulate files without using Windows though, just don't add executable files that need to save.

You don't have Parallels or anything like it?

EDIT: Google says there is a Mac loader for the M3 somewhere, but I'm not sure where to look for it. Jimmi? The top Google result is raggedjimmi on this board talking about it, but the link he posted is now defunct.

3. paul.b.davis thread starter macrumors 6502

paul.b.davis

so does that mean I cannot use a mac at all to load up ROMs and homebrew apps?

I downloaded the "software" package for the card, and the instructions just talk about copying files into the Micro SD card then starting up the DS

4. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Okay, well I don't know about the newer products, but if it works like the original M3 CF, you can probably load up roms and homebrew apps via copy/paste but you can't save unless you load through their software package.

I have no idea if there is a Mac version of that software package available. There wasn't two years ago :) But I have no idea now.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Oh heaven knows. I just use bootcamp. The Mac loader would be so far out of date now too.

Some homebrew doesn't require using the application. I know Lemmings DS doesn't. I didn't even have to do a DLDI patch on that!

I do believe though that the M3 Simply doesn't even need an application to load games onto the memory card. I really think it's just drag and drop. But I'm not entirely sure.

6. paul.b.davis thread starter macrumors 6502

paul.b.davis

7. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I'm using a R4 and DLDI Drop on my Mac -- it's from this year. Anyway, it works for everything I've tried and it saves me a trip to my PC.

<]=)

8. paul.b.davis thread starter macrumors 6502

paul.b.davis

Cool, it says it works with M3 Simply too, Good Find

Could you possibly post something explaining how to set a Slot-1 Card up, I am still a little confused about how all this works

Thanks