DS Lite or Wii

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dingdongbubble, May 18, 2008.

1. dingdongbubble macrumors 6502a

Well what do you think I should get?

I will be quite busy with school and stuff starting Sept so a portable console seems like a good idea to play on the go when I get time. On the other hand the Wii seems more fun and will likely be in the market for quite a few more years.
    Which console do you think would be better and more fun?

Can you tell me the advantages of each over the other?

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I would have said DS until Mario Kart Wii came along, possibly one of the most fun console games I've played in a very long time! I don't even want to tally up the time I've already spent on it.

But for your situation I'd say get a DS. There's a whole bucket load of really great games out there.

Pokemon Diamond/Pearl, New Mario, Metroid Hunters, Mario Kart, Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow, Advance Wars (both), The World Ends With You, Phoenix Wright, Kirby (both), Animal Crossing, Zelda, Nanostray, Final Fantasy (with some new Tactics game out soon). And they're just the good games I've played!

3. dingdongbubble thread starter macrumors 6502a

I get bored of games quickly if their progress is slow or they arent fun so I tend to play only games which get a rating higher than 90% but sometimes I am fine with other games as well.

I want to ask you a question:
    Does the Wii generally have games which arcade style? I mean does it have games which are easy to get into, play for a short while enjoying them and then leave. I dont want games which take atleast 2 hours a day to enjoy. And I am only talking about which are considered excellent.

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Some games do, some don't. Zelda and Metroid are relatively epic, quite slow paced games. But games like Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart, Wii Sports, Excitetruck have a pick up and play Arcade quality.

The DS is pretty much the same.

5. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

I have a Wii with Guitar Hero 3, Super Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart Wii, and i recently got Metroid 3. I love it :D

6. dingdongbubble thread starter macrumors 6502a

oh and the Dell XPS 630 is so tempting. I will be able to play FSX, World in Conflict etc at high details. Quick convince me not to buy a :eek: PC. :apple: rules

7. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

if you want to play games on a computer, build a PC. It's much cheaper than buying a computer from any other manufacturer, and you can built it to your exact requirements.

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Gotta agree. If its just for gaming get a PC.

9. dingdongbubble thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nah if I am buying a PC I might as well buy the configured ones because they will give me tech support, warranty and stuff.

I like playing games for their gameplay. I like games with good play. I get bored with games that give me a long story and I ahve to walk through the story and stuff.

10. LotusLord macrumors 6502

LotusLord

The Capital of the Land of Cheese and Beer
    The wii is great, but so is the DS. I think you'll get more play out of the DS, because its portable, and there are so many games (and you can get a flash card and carry a ton of games with you.)

11. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

If you are talking about school as far as college.... I say get a Wii. Sure.. you'll have class and be busy and on the go, but it will be much better to have a Wii. Mainly because A. it's something to come back to the dorm room and chill out doing B. It will get you moving around (in a lot of games anyway) and any sort of extra blood flow and movement when playing a game is good in college. and C. it's a GREAT system to have fun with friends and invite people from the floor to do and have fun with... where as a DS is a solitary less friendly type system :) and everyone likes the Wii for a quick break in the day and some floor/friend fun.

12. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

I heard that the DS is due for an update at E3 2008 which is from July 15 to 17. But of course that's a rumor. I would highly recommend a Wii. Metroid Prime 3 is an epic FPS game and now most classic Nintendo games have been released for the platform. Mario Kart, Metroid, Zelda, Galaxy, the list goes on. And it's only going to get better from here.

13. danielhayter macrumors member

danielhayter

Are there any rumours about the Wii itself being updated soon?

I really want to get a new console - I just sold my Xbox 360 as I haven't used it much since I moved in with my partner. She really likes playing the Wii though so I was thinking of getting one. The only thing that is stopping me is the lack of DVD playback support - a very strange omission for us people who like to keep clutter to a minimum ie not having lots of different boxes on the tv shelf.

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Updated Wii? There have been rumours of a Wii with larger internal storage, different coloured units and DVD playback for a while now.

And yes there are new DS rumours, though there have been absolutely no leaks. It's hard to imagine Nintendo releasing a new model (or dropping the price) when the current DS Lite is selling phenomenally. We'll see I suppose! TBH I can't fault the Lite but I'll buy an updated system.