DS' successor, the 3DS

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Dagless, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

2. MRU Suspended

MRU

Mmm 3D ? Looks like there's no way to avoid this onslaught.

3. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

4. MRU Suspended

MRU

5. bcrguy macrumors regular

indeed interesting.. however i would be more impressed with the tony stark type table pc which shows the 3d hologram..

6. capoeirista macrumors 6502

Totally misread this as being an article about a new 3DO. Epic epic fail on my part...

7. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

So, what's the over-under on Sorny frantically rushing out PSP2 at E3?

8. DISCOMUNICATION macrumors 6502a

DISCOMUNICATION

Sony will probably make fun of playing 3d on screens the size of a cracker at E3 and remind you the PS3 will get 3D 1st this summer. You just need to buy a ridiculously expensive 3D TV after most people have already blown their cash on cheapest biggest HDTV they could find. The news of Nintendo saying Netflix streaming technically possible on DS means you will be able to watch Avatar in 3D on a screen the size of a postage stamp. With announcement of Nintendo 3-DS ridiculously expensive 3D TVs that require glasses seem like betamax or 8 tack tape now. Did Nintendo say it was full color or are we going back to Gameboy/Virtualboy monochrome?

9. MRU Suspended

MRU

Nintendo haven't said much. I highly doubt they will go monochrome after the disastrous fail of virtual boy.

Thoughts on E3

E3 should be interesting at least with one confirmed piece of new hardware for 2011.

I imagine Microsoft will announce the smaller 360 (a stop gap till the next E3 2011, where they will surely announce successor to the console for 2012 release.)

3D will be a biggy with all console manufacturers announcing some form of support, and maybe even wii+ with HDMI to support it ?

Motion Control is obviously going to be the big fight between Microsoft & Sony, but in reality they can both shove it up their a$$holes. Motion control is for the casual and looks set to remain that way until they can actually foster precision, and none of current motion controls can compete against the accuracy of a analogue stick.

Nintendo will probably announce another couple of games that will finally make some use out of the Motion +

I have some vein hope they announce a wii-remote with motion + built in, reducing the hefty bulkness the wii-remote, motion + & jacket currently present to users.

I've lost all hope they will announce anything other than 1-2 games that aren't piss poor casual tripe.

10. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Price drop for the PSPgo at E3 then I'll surely jump in on that. 3DS ummm sounds interesting.

I'll have to see this in action.

Bless

11. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Before I played a DS I thought 2 screens would have been the last thing I wanted on a handheld. They must be onto something good though. There's no way they'd mess up the successor to the DS especially now they've built and manufactured fully working Thinking Caps.

12. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I have a prediction; Developers will be as DUMB as usual and not know what to do with this thing and we'll end up with tons of DS ports with portions updated to be in 3D, like the title-screen.

Sorry, I'm just thinking back to when the DS was released and how much vomit was puked over it by devs, which couldn't grasp why a secondary screen with touch controls was a good thing, and this was with some of the RPG shops. And then the Wii comes along and the same devs become complete idiots and forget how to breath in the process of beating off the Wiimote, instead of using it to POINT. YES, I'm ranting.

13. Dr. McKay macrumors 6502a

What's with all that 3D-stuff nowadays ? Everywhere you look, in games, in movies. Stuff 3D !

I explicitly refused watching Avatar in 3D. I went and enjoyed the regular '2D' version, while all of my friends were in another theatre wearing those stupid looking glasses...

Attached Files:

14. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

Because 3D is awesome. I've been trying for years to get my mum to upgrade our crappy 42" Plasma, but she never would. But now that 3D TV's are coming out, she says she will buy one one day. And I saw Avatar in 3D, playing games like that would be awesome. I can't wait until 3D becomes the norm, and all games/movies are in it.

15. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

If you read the first post Nintendo stated they're using a type of 3D that doesn't require 3D glasses.
    Nice attachment ;).

I watched Avatar in 3D. The film itself was terrible but the 3D effect made it watchable. As an advert for 3D it works.

16. Dr. McKay macrumors 6502a

I'm all for 3D, I just don't see a future for it if you have to wear those 'retard' 3D glasses for it every time you watch it...

In any case, adding 'depth' to an image or movie won't do anything for me. Not that I can't actually see in 3D, but I have a problem with distances.
    A lot of people suffer from it, and it's "innate" : you're born with it. No glasses or operation can change a damn thing.

Example : take a washing line. When I want to grab it, I'll almost certainly close my hand BEFORE actually reaching it. Hence, watching a 3D movie will result in a very weird experience. I've tried it, and I'd rather not try again.
    It's difficult to explain, but that's the way it is. It doesn't pose any problems in normal life, driving a car, riding a bike or whatever.

So if from now on, games and movies will only come in 3D, then I'm well and truly stuffed.

17. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Well this doesn't bode well. I paid $15 to see this dam move, expecting to see it in an iMax only to be shoved into a crapy-small-theater with a screen that was a bit too dark. This made the 3D fuzzy most of the time and for an overall poor experience.

Anyways, I was going to give Avatar a second chance on Blueberry here at home, since I had such a poor experience in the theater, but I guess the movie will still be eh.