DS_Store Cleaner for Mac OSX Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by manHa, Feb 7, 2010.

1. manHa macrumors newbie

Hello,

Would you know any application (NOT command things in the Terminal, but an actual app with some kind of an easy interface) that removes DS_Store and other unnecessary files from selected folders?

I tried DS_Store Cleaner 1.5 but it was for Panther. I want something for the latest iMac, which is Leopard I guess.

Thanks in advance.

2. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

You COULD use Spotlight to erase .DS_Store files ...

Open a window in the Finder and enter ".DS_Store" in the search box in the upper right corner

Select the "Filename" button

Select the "+" button in the upper right corner

Select the left most popup menu (it should/might say "Kind"), and choose "Other"

Select "File Invisible" from the panel.

Choose "Invisible" in the secondary popup menu.

To make sure you get ALL of them ..

Select the "+" button again

Select "Other" again, then select "System Files" from the panel

When it appears, choose "are included" from the secondary popup menu.

You should easily get hundreds ... and no Terminal commands were necessary.

mt

3. manHa thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, that was useful. Still looking for a nice app though.

4. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

OnyX can do it.

See screenshot.

Attached Files:

• Onyx.jpg
      Onyx.jpg
      File size:
      116.1 KB
      Views:
  5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Onyx is your best bet. There a number of other apps, including MainMenu(paid), and iTool(free).

6. nigels0 macrumors member

7. keithOrbit macrumors member

8. sh4d0w, Mar 9, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2011

sh4d0w macrumors newbie

Darn DS_Store

I discovered this file just this morning on my desktop and it had a log going back to the day of purchase. Despite the fact that I use every built in privacy tool I can think of, in addition to OnyX, Cocktail, Yasu, tiptoe, iceclean, etc. This is not cool and Apple really should give an easy to use total privacy / no log option, but I digress.

I had high hopes for iceclean, but it was the first program to freeze and crash on my new Macbook Air and it crashed whilst saying that such a turn of events could seriously harm my system. Everything seems to be fine but iceclean is persona non grata. I would like to know how to do this without involving outside software which I may not always own a license for, given I have multiple machines, etc.

Anyhow OnyX does not seem to be a solution; I tried it and the local file still regenerates.

OK so I used the finder method described but it didn't bring up hundreds of files. In fact it didn't bring up any, which makes me worried.

More importantly, the .ds_store file that I do know of (on the desktop) instantly regenerates if you edit or delete it. This is mentioned in several threads, so it's not an error but it means that just deleting the little devil has no impact.

Any insight? Terminal commands are fine by me; although I'd really love it if I could just prevent the creation of these or at least have them automatically deleted and replaced by blank copies frequently.

Thanks in advance.

9. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't need to delete them. You can turn off the display of hidden files so you won't see them, but they're created for a purpose. Read my response to your post in the other thread you posted in.