.DS_Store Files

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Halcyon, May 26, 2007.

1. Halcyon macrumors 6502

What's with these files? What do they do? They appear in my folders when I copy files from other devices like USB memmory stick, photo camera, etc.

Is it safe to trash them? I came upon this software - Blueharvest- that will take care of deleting them automatically for you...but I have my reserves about doing so because I read that the OS actually needs them.

TIA

2. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

They are hidden files created by OS X that keeps information about the files Label colors, Spotlight notes and the such. If you plan on using the memory card etc. on Macs often, I'd say just keep then unless they are *really* annoying you.

3. cbrain macrumors 65816

cbrain

Hi,

DS Store files have ended up in the music directories in my PSP so I can delete the directories from it. Any way to stop my mac dumping the files on my PSP?

Thanks.

4. cbrain macrumors 65816

cbrain

My PSP isn't a network volume, will it still work?

5. Halcyon thread starter macrumors 6502

After reading all that info you guys provided with the links, it seems that the data contained in these files is mostly cosmetic and comments...If this is correct, and it's still not 100% clear to me, is it safe to remove these files?

From the math in one of those articles, a typical system can be using up to 150 mb of your disk space just with these files...so some people might appreciate the x-tra disk space.

Myself, they don't bother me (at least not yet) but what would be the purpouse of going through the trouble to delete them if you don't go through the trouble to stop them from being generated in the first place...and how safe is this?

6. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

It is "Safe" to and won't "damage" anything. You'll just loose some "settings."

7. hopejr macrumors 6502

They're basically the same as the Thumbs.db and desktop.ini files that Windows Explorer puts everywhere. They are fine to delete unless you have special icons for particular files or labels on them.