.DS_store files

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nullx86, Aug 3, 2010.

1. nullx86 macrumors 6502a

nullx86

Ok, so I went and transferred some files from my iMac to my W2K8 server, and in each folder that got transferred, is a .DS_STORE file. Last time I did an overhaul on my server, the .DS_STORE files caused file transfers to crash, and give some serious errors. Does anyone know how to stop the files from writing?

2. celticpride678

Those are required by Mac OS X. If they're causing issues, the best thing to do it rebuild their database using Onyx.

3. nullx86 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nullx86

I know theyre required by OS X, and its not in OS X that theyre causing an issue in. Only on my W2k8 box. I just did a google and found a page on Apple's Support site that should have turned off writing DS_Store files on network storage.

4. nullx86 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nullx86

yeah, I get what its for, but how will I get it so it stops writing on remote/networked storage? I just a command line trick from Apple and it didnt work, still writing DS_Store files to my W2K8 box.

5. nullx86 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nullx86

So does anyone know how to disable writing on remote media? I did the command line trick, and even copied the plist from ~/Library/Prefs to /library/prefs, but the DS_STORE files are still writing to the remote server. Hell, even trying to rm -i them doesnt work. It will get rid of the top level folders DS_Stores, but any folders within those folders will still have them. Really not too happy about it.

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

There's is a preference that can be used to stop the creation of these files on network drives.

Here's a Terminal command that will delete all .DS_Store files recursively. Just use the cd command to go to the directory you want it to affect first.

Code:
    find . -name '.DS_Store' -delete
    Alternatively, you can use the rsync command, which includes and "exclude" argument where you can specify the DS file as one not to copy.