Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emt8q5

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2007
hey folks, recently my life has been ruined by a .ds_store file in my trash. I am at a complete loss here. the file is not there when I look in the trash folder, however if I "command-a" I see a weird fild in the trash. If I then copy that file onto my desktop, it turns into a .ds_store file.

Has anyone run into this? How do I get rid of a .ds_store file in my trash?

Thanks!
Eric

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    38.5 KB · Views: 209

bstreiff

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2008
You could open up Terminal and try to remove it from the command-line... it should be in ~/.Trash.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
You could open up Terminal and try to remove it from the command-line... it should be in ~/.Trash.

I just logged in to post the same. You should be able to delete it with "rm" or "sudo rm" if you're not logged in on an admin account.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
.ds_store's are fine. It's a file that tells the finder how to display that folder. If you delete one it regenerates it. The file exists in every folder, but it's supposed to be invisible. I don't know why you're seeing it in the trash, but it doesn't matter. Every time you delete it it will just come back.

emt8q5

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2007
The problem lies in what happens to the DS_Store file once it is in the trash. If you look at the .png I attached to the original post, you will see what happens when I go to the "empty" trash and do command-a. I select a very odd file name that turns into a DS_store file when copied and pasted from my trash onto my desktop. I understand that .DS_store files are supposed to be in all my folders, I have run into dificulty in that the .DS_Store file is being corrupted when it goes into the trash and as a result, I am never able to empty my trash can.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.