DSi in NA: April 5th, $170USD

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by sikkinixx, Feb 18, 2009.

1. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

No Euro info as usual :eek:

How much is a regular DS Lite stateside?

3. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

$130.

4. AJsAWiz macrumors 68040

AJsAWiz

I want one but can't decide on a color. Can anyone interpret this?

"So as far as I'm concerned, the DSi is coming to the US in black (and blue at launch only if you don't pre-order it.)"

Does that mean that you can only get black if you pre order it?

5. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Amazon has both blue and black for pre order on the same release day.

6. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Black pre-ordered from Amazon with one day shipping. ETA: April 7.
    :cool:

7. AJsAWiz macrumors 68040

AJsAWiz

Not so sure about that. When I selected the blue on Amazon the following appeared:

"Nintendo DSi
    by Nintendo
    Platform: Nintendo DS

Color Name: Matte Blue"

:eek:

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

9. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Eh, not interested, not until I see one in person at least. My DS Lite is still in great condition, so I'm not seeing the need. :)

10. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

You waited too long. Their pre-order list filled up pretty fast. Also you can be notified on either color.

From my pre-order

Edit: As of right now (My last edit time), both black and blue are available for pre-order on Amazon.

Gotta love Amazon stipulations

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

That's not too bad. Was tempted to import a US one but pah to region locking. Hopefully some hackers come along and fix that (region free=yes, piracy=no).

12. AJsAWiz macrumors 68040

AJsAWiz

Thanks! I just went back and placed an order for the blue on Amazon.:D

13. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

It was black or white in Japan, I wish we had white as a choice. Then again I probably still would have gotten black. I'm personally not too fond of that shade of blue.

Good job on snatching up a pre-order :)

14. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

The blue looks pretty weird... it's probably just the pictures. I'm fine with my black :D

15. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

why not just order a japanese one as well? ;)

16. AJsAWiz macrumors 68040

AJsAWiz

Yep, I know what you mean. I'll probably keep my DS Lite, which is black, because I still play some GBA games. So I thought I'd try the weird blue DSi :rolleyes:

17. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Because of the region locking policy I will not buy one.

Hackers may indeed come out with a workaround, but then with the new 'updatable' firmware on the DSi how long before Nintendo release an update bricking many users DSi's (much like the wii) or at least breaking the region hack.

I have been burned too many times this generation by Nintendo on the Wii, and it really has just confirmed to me how important 'region free' actually is to me.

So no.... despite all temptations I'll stick with my DS lite.

18. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

This is pretty much my thoughts. Although I'll probably crumble immediately if there's a DSi zelda or mariokart.

19. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

20. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I caved in and preordered one :D I wonder if there will be any Dsi games released

21. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Man I really don't "get it" with this one. I had a DS Phat, enjoyed it, and then I upgraded to the DS Lite. But the recent games haven't been that compelling. I was hoping Nintendo would go w/ a real hardware upgrade, with higher resolution screens, digital distribution as the primary way to get software, and WAY better graphics. Instead they removed the GBA slot and slapped some cameras on? And a music player?

That being said, I couldn't be more excited for GTA for DS. So I'm definitely going to be picking that up on day 1, but after I beat that, I'm selling my DS. iPhone games are getting better and better... I'm thinking that after the next hardware update, they're going to be even prettier too.

22. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

iPhone games lack one thing that both the DS and the PSP win hands down in.. Content, as in a playable world that is more than playing a mindless puzzle game or quick fix game. The iPhone is not nor never will be a portable games console, its a phone with the ability to play very watered down mindless games for a quick fix.

I'm looking forward to the DSi and the software coming that is made specifically for it. I would much rather carry around my PSP and my DSi for true portable gaming than fiddle with my iPhone.

23. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

True - that's the state of the platform now. But more mainstream developers are coming on board. And the games on the iPhone now are MUCH better than when the app store was first unveiled. A little more time and soon we'll be there.

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

DSWare supports the DSi's full clock speed (double the DS') and the other new hardware enhancements. The screens are larger and brighter, the device is thinner. It's a bigger leap than the DS to DS Lite was. Think of it as a Gameboy Color- plays old games, plays specially designed games. Next step isn't far round the corner.

It doesn't need better graphics IMO. Whatever keeps the battery life going is fine by me. Though I'm not keen on that 3-4 hour battery life for max brightness, wtf!

25. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Don't get me wrong. I love iPhone apps, just they are always too short and simple. Even the high end ones. You pretty much get what you pay for. And with just a touch screen and an accelerometer it's hard to get games with perfect controls. Finally, the iPhone really can't handle that much. I just wish the DS/PSP screens were as good as the iPhone's...