DSi:Weaker top screen?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by zap2, Apr 6, 2009.

1. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

So I bought my DSi on launch day, love it, but the top screen tends to move a little when I bump something when I playing or in a car when playing. It doesn't feel as locked in, as the DS lite did.

I called the gamestop I bought mine from and the guy said he along with another person had the same issue. I was wondering, does anyone else have this issue?

I feels weaker then my DS lite, which top screen really locked into place.

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Nope my black dsi does not have this issue at all. Screen does not move at all. Perhaps a bad batch at that gamestop ? :eek:

3. txa1265 macrumors 6502a

txa1265

4. nintendude macrumors 6502

My DSi's top screen feels pretty solid also. It's a blue model in case that helps

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

What colour case is it Zap?

Every black UK DS Lite I've used has less responsive buttons compared to the white models, but the while models used to have the cracked hinge problem.

6. zap2 thread starter macrumors 604

zap2

Its a light blue one, raggedjimmi

So today, I went all around with a friend. He was jobing hunting and I took the chance to chat it up with gamestop/eb games employees...no one had heard of this issue(yet, its only been 2 days since launch here)

I went back to the store I bought it from and they said they had heard the complaint, but it seemed common and how the hardware was made. I pushed it saying how friends of mine had not had the issue and no other stores had heard about it. Tomorrow they'll be getting a new batch in, and which point they said they would open a box and see if it was different. The guy mentioned how he didn't want to "throw away" a 170 dollar system if I just didn't like how it felt. Frankly I don't care how he feels about my thoughts on my DSi, as long as he replaces it. I stayed nice, since it will be easier to deal with them if they aren't mad. Hopefully I'll get my replacement tomorrow(else I call up Nintendo)

Issues aside I really like my DSi, even though it was a bit of a impulse purchase(I decided to buy it earlier that day)

7. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Wow... that's kind of rude. My Gamestop is nicer :p. If they don't help I'm sure Nintendo will. Nintendo has pretty good service.

For example... when my DS's L button broke I called in (out of warranty) and bought a replacement for $50. Then the L button started working again and I had 2 DS's! I traded in the older one for my new DSi on Sunday :p.

Anyway, my black DSi feels like a rock.

8. zap2 thread starter macrumors 604

zap2

I went back today, walked right in, the guy opened a new box for me(he even remember why I was there)

He tried to say he didn't feel a big difference, but its noticeable enough for me!
    He replaced it, and was very nice.

It is better then it was, although not quite perfect. If it gets worse, I'll call Nintendo, but for now, its nice to have a working DSi

9. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

10. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

You should have registered the first one on Club Nintendo first (or did you?), double points for you!

11. zap2 thread starter macrumors 604

zap2

haha, i did!

I feel made though, I might try to tell Nintendo, we'll see

12. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

The DSi has noticeably less tension on the hinge than any of my DS Lites. I have a Japanese DSi as well as a US DSi and both are about the same tension wise on the hinge (you can move the screen top just slightly when its closed on both).

I have a US DS Lite and a Japanese DS Lite, both have quite a bit more tension on the hinge. However I think this comes at a cost. I like having a hinge with less tension on it. To be honest I think one of the main reasons why I had to have hinges replaced 3 times on my DS Lites was because the tension was too tight and it caused abnormal stress on the hinge with all the opening and closing of the lid. Having that little bit of extra play and less tension in the DSi lid seems to be a smart thing imo.

I don't think you have/had a faulty one, rather your idea of loose and others ideas of loose differ (I'm waiting for a MRU cheeky pun on this one..)

13. zap2 thread starter macrumors 604

zap2

Thats an interesting outlook, quite possible true as well. I guess I'll be able to compare as more purchase a DSi

I had emailed Nintendo, they emailed back saying to call. But I don't think I will be down I have the replacement.

Nintendo has been good with repairs for me, so I don't think I'll have trouble if issues arise in the future

14. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Ooo get her :p