DSL, AirPort Extreme, no Internet

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jjk454ss, Jan 29, 2015.

1. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

I've had terribly slow wifi recently so I replaced my AirPort Extreme to try to resolve the issue. I have a modem/router from my DSL provider, they have it set to Bridge Mode for use my my AE. I was just going into the AE and setting PPPoE, entering my username/password and I'd have Internet.

Now, with this new one I'm getting no Internet. 3 messages appear:

Internet Connection
    PPPoE Server
    No DNS Servers

According to my provider everything on there end is good and they can see my modem, so it's after the modem. I do not have an Internet light on the modem, I thought I did before, but they said it's all OK. I can call them in the morning, but any thoughts on what I can do in the mean time? Everything has been reset anplreaxy just in case.

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

3. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

I think Ive only needed to enter my username and password. Is there more?

4. Fishrrman macrumors G4

I would not set the ISP modem/router to bridge mode -- I would leave the M/R set to default setup (it functions as a router, providing the hardware-based NAT firewall).

I would then set the Airport Extreme up as I advised in this posting:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=20642492#post20642492

This way you avoid the "dual NAT" problems that some folks get.

Also, if you go the route I advise, I suggest you have an ethernet cable on-hand to use during the setup process...

5. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Thanks. I actually just got it working about 5 minutes ago. The AE just had to be plugged into port 4 on the modem/router. Although it didn't work when I first tried it, I switched ports and it works now.

If it's working now, should I leave it alone? Or still any advantage to doing what you suggested?

6. Fishrrman macrumors G4

[[ If it's working now, should I leave it alone? Or still any advantage to doing what you suggested? ]]

Well, as the saying goes, "if it ain't broke, don't 'fix' it!"

So -- if it's working, and nothing seems amiss, I'd stick with where you're at for now...

7. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

That's what I was thinking too. Thanks