DSL Internet Service Provider: Month to Month or Extended Contract

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mw2, Apr 21, 2009.

1. mw2 macrumors newbie

In trying to sift through the myriad of DSL service offers in the Phoenix area, it is very confusing to decide whether or not to go with a month to month plan or a contract that runs over a longer period of time.

In the specific deal that I have run across from Qwest, a consumer, who already has a Choice level of phone service, can either select a month to month service fee for a year of $25.00 or a two year contract basis (with the rate going to $36.99 after the first year) and the option to continue with the higher rate for the life of service for as many years to come as desired.

I guess, it comes down to whether or not DSL prices will continue to drop over time. Does anybody have any insights on this matter, or is it just the flip of a coin type of decision?

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

more likely the prices will go up, not down. Internet Service Providers don't lower prices; they raise them, just like cable TV

3. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

What other options are out there with respect to providers? The more there are the more likely you can cut a deal if prices get too high.

Also, while prices may go up, so do service speeds, so you may be locking your self into a slower speed at whatever price.

4. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

If DSL is your only option at the moment and you know you're not gonna be moving, I would lock in for a year 2 tops.

If you have other options compare them and see what would be the fastest but also cheapest for the price you're willing to pay.

Generally, the more you pay the more bandwidth you're gonna get.