Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
i have a question to help out my brother... so i don't have all the specifics, but here is what he told me...

"i am trying to hook my airport to my roommate's dsl connection.

i have a hub, airport, enet cables.
he has earthlink dsl, which he connects to through enet to it.

not sure if i need to do something special with the setup etc. right now i have the dsl going to the hub, then out to the pc. that works. the pc will connect.

then i thought i could just drop the airport on there and it would wireless me out. so far, no luck. though my various setting may be messed up."

any help woudl be great....

i will see what system he's running and all that and try to make more sense of it. but if someone knows the solution right away, by all means.....

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
ok i have some more info.....

his roommate's computer is a dell desktop

my brother has:

a g4 with os9 w/ airport card.
and a powerbook w/os10 w/airport card.

any help would be great.... thanks

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
I have Earthlink DSL as well... I have the DSL modem plugged into the WAN port on the base station, and my 8-port switch (NOT a hub) plugged into the LAN port. Earthlink DSL uses PPPOE, so you need to set up the base to use that. I have the base sign on for me 24/7 and give out IP addresses via DHCP. Probably the easiest way to setup the base station is to connect a computer directly to it and set it up with the assistant. You will need the user ID, password and such for the primary DSL account.

You should name the base station, and set it with a new password, otherwise you leave yourself open to someone with a wireless card that knows the default base station password.

gelbin

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2002
alpha -
i have an old airport, with only one port. i do have the ethernet hub...

the apple 'genius' suggested i get the pc software for airport and set up the airport to connect. i have not tried that, not sure i know how, but i was hoping there was a way to allow me to keep the pc relatively untouched....

any help is greatly appreciated.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
I had one of the old airport bases until I got the new one. With a switch, you get an uplink port on it. I had plugged the DSL modem into that (uplink port), and the base into one of the other ports, so that it would see the modem. I then configured the base with my Mac system (NOT a f*ckin pc). If your hub doesn't have an uplink port (which it probably doesn't have), I suggest getting a switch. They are worth the money when you start adding devices, since a hub will share the transfer rate among all the devices on the hub, where a switch goes to just the one you are targetting. You can get a four or five port switch now, and add another on top of it if you need to. I went with an eight port since I eventually will fill all of the ports. I have my printer on the switch, along with the game pc, and base station. I have enough open ports for when I have a LAN party, especially if people bring laptops.

Did you get that genius advice from an Apple store??? If so, they don't rate the genius level, since there are better ways then the pc software.

gelbin

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2002
ok.
i have the dsl plugged into the 'link' port on my linksys 5 port hub (5 ports plus 'link')
the pc can dial through the hub out through the modem fine.

so theoretically, i should be able to have the airport do the same.
as of now, i can't, though i have configured the airport to use pppop or whatever and to use the dsl.

but so far no luck.

so the simple starting point is to see if i can get the airport to run out through the dsl....

hints.?

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
gelbin-
Are you trying to have the Airport Base Station dial out through the hub?

You should set it to go directly into the dsl modem, and enter the login information for PPoE...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.