DSL Speed Upgrade Question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by WSR, Jul 8, 2012.

1. WSR macrumors regular

I have an Zytel EQ-660r modem for my CenturyLink(was Embarq) 1.5Mbps DSL service. The modem is currently using the G.DMT standard.

If I upgrade the service from 1.5Mbps to "up to 10Mbps" before updating the modem what will happen.
    Will I get:
    1. still 1.5Mbps.
    2. the best speed the modem can do, possibly the max of the G.DMT standard, 8Mbps.
    3. a nonfunctioning service. Modem is totally incompatible with the service.
    4. or something else.

Thanks, I'm usually fairly tech savvy, but my knowledge of DSL Service is piecemeal, and I don't want to make a change that losses me internet access.
    Note I am trying to update the modem, but so far I haven't had much success getting the new modem to integrate with my network the way I want it to. That would be another set of questions, and I'm sure a much longer post. I mostly want to know if I could get possibly the 8Mbps or if the modem would be totally incompatible.

Thanks again.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I would be highly skeptical of an "up to 10 Mbps" DSL plan. If the upgrade costs a pittance then go for it; if it's double the price it's not worth it.

3. WSR thread starter macrumors regular

It's $10 more over the 1.5Mbps which I currently have. There is also a 3Mbps option for $5 more.

If I can get at least 7Mbps with the "up to 10Mbps" it would be worth the $10 to me. I think the "up to " part is more dependent on my neighbors. If enough of them have this plan and they are all streaming, it would in effect lower my bandwidth. On the other hand, if no one in the neighborhood is streaming then I would get the full 10Mbps. CenturyLink just isn't guarantying the max speed most of the time.

4. CenturyLink macrumors newbie

CenturyLink

Hey WSR -

Got some good questions and I am sure that we can help get you the answers you need. Please send our team your account and contact details so we can verify your location check the technology transport type of data circuit you are on and what the best possible outcome will be for each option. Best way to reach us is by email TalkToUs@Centurylink.com or you can find us on Twitter or Facebook as well.

Thanks,
    Rich
    @CenturylinkHelp Team
    http://bit.ly/TALKTOUS