DSLR advice.

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by nateo200, Aug 5, 2011.

1. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Looking at getting an entry level DSLR. Mainly looking at the Canon T3 since I have no budget what so ever...my friend has the 7D and the 60D and took a look at the sensors and said they were pretty good...we both do allot of video stuff. I'm new to some of the more higher end editing stuff but I know I want to shoot 720 @ 60FPS at minimum and 720 @ 24, and 30 and lastly 1080 @ 24 would be nice but certainly not needed especially trying to imagine my MBP trying to process that lmao...

Heres the link...
    http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/...eos_rebel_t3_18_55mm_is_ii_kit#Specifications
    I can't find the resolution details maybe I'm blind I saw the FPS specs but someone more knowledgeable advice me? Thanks..

2. Artful Dodger, Aug 5, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2011

Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

3. nateo200 thread starter macrumors 68030

nateo200

Hmm that link is for the T3i, sadly I don't think I will be able to fit that one into the budget :/ I'm looking for the T3 specifically but I'm open to any other alternatives in the under $650~ range....thanks though :)

4. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

5. apeden macrumors member

I was in your same boat about 7 months ago. I did a lot of research on the 7D, 60D, and the T3i and what I came to find out was that the 60D was the best pick out of the three for my budge. The 60D is 100% better build quality then the T3i (which is a very nice thing), they all have the same chip in them so you will get basically the same image quality out all three of them. I like the 60D b/c it has the flipping screen, I use it mostly for video, so that little feature helps me out a lot. Also the 60D still has the nice LCD on the top of the camera like the 7D, the T3i does not have that. That LCD comes in handy, a lot. Depends on your budget and what you will be using the camera for, I would say go for the 60D :D

6. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

the t3i is going for $699 (body only) on BHphoto

I got one! great camera - articulating LCD screen, manual control over audio - it's the best buy in my opinion between the 7D and 60D IF your focus is video only

7. Sylonien macrumors regular

Sylonien

Depends what you want to mainly use it for. For photography I think it should be alright for most usage scenarios.

The T3 is sort of a "entry" camera so all the specs are slightly down.

I think it only supports 720p at (25 or 29.97fps). Just looked in the brochure. But doesn't support 1080p. (would bug me personally).

I assume you mainly want to use it for video shoot? Surely its better than most camcorder (even at 720p only) since you get much better lens (and swappable). But I think it's missing a few features like manual audio, swivel screen, 1080p.

Still, better than my first Canon 400D. Now using the 60D.

If budget stretches, at the moment I think the T3i / 600D is the best for video / photo / price for most usage scenarios.

8. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

The T3i, 60D and 7D all share the same sensor. Build quality and features are what separates them. The 60D is the best bang-for-buck of the three, if you're primarily looking to shoot video. The 7D is a bit more rugged, uses CF cards (instead of SD) and has a more robust feature set for shooting stills. But in terms of video quality and features, the 60D is practically identical to the 7D.

Also consider that aside from the obvious expense with lenses, there are hidden costs involved with comfortably shooting video on DSLR...

One of them is audio. You'll need special adapters to connect professional mics to the camera (the built-in mic is really only acceptable as a guide). Some shooters use external recorders instead and use plugins for FCP like PluralEyes to sync the externally recorded audio with the camera's guide audio.

The ergonomics of shooting with DSLR versus a traditional video camera are considerably different. Several companies make grips, rail kits, follow focus adapters, etc. to compensate for this but it all costs money.

9. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

OP might want to consider a T2i, better than the T3. from my reading the T3i was barely an upgrade from the T2i. They use the same sensor.

10. Sylonien macrumors regular

Sylonien

Only difference I can see between the T2i and T3i is the swivel screen and the new digital zoom mode (without loosing video quality). In a way, the T3i is better than my 60D in terms for video recording.

11. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

The T3i also allows you to manually control the audio. Something the T2i does not.

In my opinion, as a video guy, the T3i is the best value out there. Don't forget, as a DSLR filmmaker you're going to need to invest in audio capturing equipment, stabilization, and GLASS! So, the money you save NOT buying a 7D ($900 more than T3i) or even 60D ($200 more than T3i body only) can be used for those things.

12. WestSt macrumors member

Sorry for hi-jacking(!), but what's the bare essentials kit "in audio capturing equipment, stabilization, and GLASS" on a budget?

Thanks!

13. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

lets start with audio...

first off, you'll probably want to record your audio separately - for that you'll need the Zoom H4n - cost you around $300

if you don't have a Zoom, and it's possible to get by without one, then you DEFINITELY need some sort of a boom mic you can plug into the camera. Check out this one - I got it, works great and will run you about $160. The Camera on-board mic is not good, so the boom mic will be adequate when getting general BROLL shots.

lastly, if you want to mic up someone for interviews and such, you'll need some wireless mics. I just got these and LOVE THEM! They cost me $600!

GLASS (on a budget)

Tamron 17-50 f2.8 non-VC ($450)
    Tokina 11-16 f2.8 ($650)
    50 f1.8 ($120)
    maybe a 35 ($300??)

Stabilization
    * all I got is a cheap tripod. Check out bhphoto for prices. They ain't cheap, but you can find some bargains

The video below I shot with my T2i, 50m f1.8, the cheap kit lens 18-55 f3.5-5.6, a rode boom mic (I also used this one to voice) and a cheap tripod.

http://vimeo.com/23464436

I'm still working to grow my gear

14. nateo200 thread starter macrumors 68030

nateo200

Uh no way in hell am I going to be able spend $300 on dedicated/separate audio recording...just not happening. As cool as that would be I'm barely going to be able to afford (and I say afford because I am just a college student with birthday money and an interest in high end toys :D) a DSLR. That said I'm curious what options I have. Could I use digital audio recorders (like say an iPhone 4?) and add the individual audio streams in of each person in iMovie in sync after words? It seams getting audio and video in sync is going to be a complete nightmare...:(

15. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Just understand that the built-in mic on a DSLR is generally going to be of inferior quality to the built-in mic on a traditional video camera. The actual quality of the audio recording on a Canon DSLR body actually isn't too bad, provided you're connecting an external mic (you'll need adapters in order to use some mics, like ones that use XLR). The mic itself is the biggest culprit - it's a tiny condenser. I would imagine that using an iPhone as an external recorder is possible with an app (you can do it on Android), but it would have a lot of the same limitations DSLRs have in terms of what types of mics you can use without adapters.

Syncing external audio doesn't have to be a nightmare if you use a slate (or simply a visual indication of sync prior to the shot such as the clapping of hands) - it's just tedious. There is a plugin available for FCP (but not FCP X) called PluralEyes, which syncs external audio by comparing its waveforms to the ones recorded as guide (in this case, the camera's internal mic audio). FCP X has similar waveform syncing built-in, so no additional cost in that case.

16. Sylonien macrumors regular

Sylonien

Don't know if its' my Rode VideoMic or not, but when used with the Canon 60D, there is a lot of noise in the recording. Much better with external recorders (used with or without VideoMic).

17. handsome pete macrumors 68000

Yeah, the audio captured in camera is simply not really good for anything other than a scratch track (regardless of an attached shotgun, disabled AGC, etc.).

Not to mention the IS motor on some lenses is more noticeable and will be picked up in the audio.

Syncing audio is really the best option.

18. machomer macrumors regular

Great video. Can you give a sample list of lenses that you used for each shot? Just a brief example of what shot (time) was shot with what type of lens?

I have a T2i as well and have the kit 18-55 lens and the 50. Did you use the Rode mic for any of the video?

19. nateo200 thread starter macrumors 68030

nateo200

Thanks! Just got my T2i!! Its amazing and I'll be in the poor house for some time hehe but I'm glad I finally have my own high end camera which feels good. Very eager to start taking photos of the beautiful city I'm in at the moment (Milwaukee, WI).

20. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

yep, happy to help!

0-5 :: 50mm
    6-10 :: 18-55
    10 - 15 :: 50mm
    the rest :: 18-55, except for the file footage used from the Free Burma Rangers

I used the Rode Video mic for all the interviews. I also used it to record my voice track.

You can really do a lot of great work with the gear you have.

21. bimmzy macrumors regular

bimmzy

I agree the t2i is the way to go, if you're on a budget, great picture quality as you'll see from the video :D

If you don't choke on the propaganda :p