DSLR Backpack Suggestions

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by saccento, Jul 2, 2011.

1. saccento macrumors 6502a

saccento

Hey guys, I'm looking to get a backpack for my DSLR to replace my regular case.. What do you guys use/suggest? I have a D90 with 3 lenses. Eventually, I'll be looking to get more lenses, a speedlite and other accessories.
    thanks!!

2. thejoshhoward macrumors member

I use the Kata Digital Rucksack. I love it. I've got three lenses, a D7000 and a bunch of accessories, too. Might be overkill for you since it also carries a computer and such, but I thought I'd throw it out there. It's a great, durable, comfortable bag.

3. tmagman macrumors 6502

I am a huge fan of the Kata bags and am looking at picking up a new backpack from them. Lots of great sizes and really well designed pockets and snaps. Right now though I am currently using a Lowepro fastback 250 and it is absolutely outstanding as well. Room for 4-5 lenses plus speedlight etc. It has one of the nicest side access camera body pockets that I've ever seen/used on a backpack. They are also very very reasonably priced but still built like tanks

Happy shopping!

4. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

It depends on how you want to use the backpack, as in as a "city pack" or for hiking. I started with the Lowepro Flipside 300, but found that while it's good, it hold pretty much only the camera gear (and didn't quite hold all of it at that). I then got the Kata DR-467i — a great bag — but as I wanted to use it for hiking, I found it had serious deficiencies. The Kata is now my "city bag" and for hiking I use a F-Stop Guru with a small ICU (www.fstopgear.com). I absolutely love the F-Stop and the ICU system. It lets you choose a shell, then pick a small, medium, large, etc "Internal Camera Unit" that sits inside the bag protecting your gear and is easily accessible from the rear (back-facing side) of the bag. If you want to carry less camera gear and more other stuff, you use a smaller ICU. If you get a larger shell, you use your old ICU. The larger ICUs are also great storage cases as the have nylon handles and zip fully closed. I really love the fact that it's designed by people who do lots of backcountry activities so things like carry points, camelbak layout, etc are really well thought out.

5. Nostromo macrumors 65816

Nostromo

B&H's website has a nice overview over available backpacks.

What is best for you is so much about your personal ideas about a good backpack that you should just check out what's there and then try it yourself.

6. legreve macrumors regular

legreve

I love my Lowepro Runner with nylon covered foam dividers, build in rain-coat and lots of space. Also fits my mbp in the back and a sea of accessories. The inside of the main compartment has two watertight pockets for things likes cars etc.
    Currently holding the gear written beneath including more....

7. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

8. saccento thread starter macrumors 6502a

saccento

thanks for all the advice guys, much appreciated. I'm gonna check out Kata at my local camera shop to get a feel of them.. I don't really need the slot for my macbook pro, but it could never hurt.. I feel a backpack is much more convenient than my canon case I'm using currently.. if you have any other suggestions please let me know!!

9. 100Teraflops, Jul 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2011

100Teraflops macrumors 6502a

100Teraflops

Hey, check this link for more suggestions!
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1173955

Sorry, I did not realize that you might have to read the entire thread, but there a few backpack recommendations.

10. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

11. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

I've got one of the Fastpack 250s as well. It's a great bag! Fits all my lenses, my camera, and for when I need it, a laptop. It's light enough to carry with me, water-resistant enough for me to hike through the rain with it, and big enough to carry all my gear. And as said, it has a great side-access pocket. I never thought of having a pocket on the side to quickly take out the camera, but after using it I don't think I could switch back to a normal backpack

12. nobunaga209 macrumors 6502a

nobunaga209

Backpack wise I would recommend the Amazon Basics backpack. It served me well for the month that I had it but I found that I am more of a sling style bag kinda gent so I moved to a Crumpler.

I do have my Amazon backpack for sale, PM me of you're interested. ;)

13. Laird Knox macrumors 68000

The harness on the Gura Gear bag I suggested in that thread is quite nice IMO. The bag won't do well with a laptop but for camera gear it can't be beat.

14. mwayne85 macrumors regular

I have this very same backpack and I love it. Check that one out.

15. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

I would highly recommend the Lowepro Slingshot 200AW - I use it for my Nikon D50 with Sigma 18-200 lens, and I have room for my Nikon Speedflash, extra battery, and a couple of filters.

When you need to use it, just unclip, and swing the bag down under your arm in a very natural motion, and the bag has a zipper on the side for you to get to your camera quickly and easily.

I used it in both city and rural areas when I was in Singapore and Indonesia. It was quick and unobtrusive. Now I only have the one lens, so if you have multiple lenses, you might wanna look at one of the bigger Slingshots they make.

Highly recommended!

16. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

I have the Tamrac Evolution 6 (Model 5786) and I love it. I recieved the cheap Canon brand basic backpack for Christmas and used it a few times before I realized that I didn't really care for it due to having to take it completely off to even change lenses. After some research, I decided that I wanted a sling style bag so that I could grab the camera quickly while still wearing the bag. I went to the local camera shop to check out the Lowepro Slingshot 202. It was there that I saw the Tamrac Evolution and fell in love.

It can be worn as a normal backpack or a sling bag over either shoulder by just unclipping one or the other strap and stash it behind the cusion. The biggest advantage I find with it over the traditional sling bag is that it has access panels on both sides. I wear it as a backpack and when I need to get the camera I just slip off one shoulder strap and swing it around. If I need to change lenses, I just slip off the other strap and they are right there on that side of the bag.

I keep my body with attached lens, 2 other lenses, my speedlight, and occasionally my point and shoot and mini video camera all in the main compartment. There are plenty of supporting pockets as well as an included rain cover and tripod holder.

I think they have a couple larger sized bags in the same series.

http://www.tamrac.com/5786.htm