DSLR camera, also for video

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jwheeler, Jun 26, 2010.

1. jwheeler macrumors regular

Hi, my company is looking for a new slr camera. However, as we've started doing full hd videos of our products, we'd like to know what is the best slr that is good for 1080p video, and also better than the Nikon D80 (that we currently have)

We will also be doing green screen of vehicles. (To show the fitting of our products on a white background.)

2. TH3D4RKKN1GH7 macrumors 6502a

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

3. Piehead macrumors newbie

I'm currently looking into the Canon Rebel T2i. It seems really good for the money and produces amazing HD footage. Check some stuff out on YouTube - it looks really good.

:) Good luck in your camera hunt!!

4. dodge this macrumors member

I have a sink and a toilet in my bathroom. Both of them have water in them. But just because I can rinse my toothbrush in either one doesn't mean I brush my teeth in the toilet bowl.

I would keep the photography and video work separate. I would choose two different dedicated cameras, one for each. Especially with HD codecs. Sometimes those photography camera codecs don't like to play nice with editing.

5. handsome pete macrumors 68000

That's true, but it's easy to transcode to an editor friendly format.

If the OP is determined to use a DSLR for video, I would suggest looking at the Canons (5D, 7D, t2i) or the Panasonic GH1.

I would not suggest any DSLR for greenscreen work. It's a compressed 4:2:0 codec. Also, if you're shooting things on greenscreen in order to just place them on a white background in post, why wouldn't you just shoot on white to begin with and get rid of the greenscreen altogether?

DSLRs can capture some fantastic video, especially if you are seeking a lot of flexibility with depth of field. But for most applications, dedicated video cameras are still the much better tool.

6. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

The season finale of House was shot using a Canon EOS 5D Mark II... just sayin'.

NB: I know nothing about DSLR's, but am looking into getting a video DSLR too, as I know video cameras, but want to explore still formats.

7. handsome pete macrumors 68000

That's true, and I even said that the DSLRs can capture some great video. I own a Canon 7D and use it all of the time.

But video on a DSLR is a world of difference from dedicated video cameras. They don't operate like traditional video cameras, so there is somewhat of a steep learning curve. Then you get into lenses, camera support (which is usually necessary with small cameras like these), audio solutions (because on board audio is useless), etc. Now your $1000 camera is costing close to $5000. Then there are the limitations of the camera itself with compressed codec, moire, aliasing, rolling shutter, etc.

So I don't try to discourage people to use DSLRs for video, but simply educate them on what they're getting into. A lot of people see footage online or read comments like "George Lucas is using DSLRs" or "an episode of House was shot on one," and think that they'll go out and buy a DSLR and get stunning results out of the box.

As for the episode of House, besides the 5D, they had a major network budget to work with, including grip trucks, lighting trucks, professional audio, access to cinema prime lenses, any support gear necessary, and an award winning DP.

8. Moodikar macrumors regular

9. handsome pete macrumors 68000

10. dodge this macrumors member

You can use whatever you want over the toilet... it was not designed to be spit in. In fact, you can use your toilet to dispose of your trash and paper towels... but eventually it will clog and not work properly.

And of course, you can always do bodily functions in the sink as well. Doesn't mean that is the best use for the sink... and have fun cleaning that up. :D

How about this... your bathroom has a tooth brush and a toilet brush. Both can clean. I am the type of person who prefers to keep the right tool for the right job. So I will brush with my toothbrush. If you prefer to brush your teeth with the same thing that cleans your toilet, be my guest. It may be clumsier and more difficult, and the quality of the final product is in the eye of the beholder... but I suppose it will get the job done if you brush your teeth with the toilet brush. :eek:

11. handsome pete macrumors 68000

Your analogy is wrong on all levels no matter how you try to rephrase it. DLSRs can be the right tool for video work. It just depends on the application. It's obvious from my other posts that they have limitations and there is a lot of misinformation out there. But your argument tries to completely nullify their use for video applications and that's just flat out wrong.

12. jwheeler thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys.

I think were gunna buy the panasonic tm700.

we don't want to spend too much, and a gd dslr wud be too expensive with lenses n stuff. We're gunna keep video and photos separate.

13. lucidmedia macrumors 6502a

We use our Cannon 5D Mk 2 as an occasional replacement for our $10,000+ HD video cameras, so it still represents a huge value to us.

Yes these DSLRs have limitations, but if you are looking to shoot video and want control over depth of field and custom lenses, its hard to beat a DSLR.