DSLR Camera contain virus?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macbroadcast, Jun 4, 2015.

1. macbroadcast macrumors member

This may sound bizarre, but I do like to keep my macbook safe from harmful files or viruses even though macs are not prone to viruses like most say.

However, I have to use this DSLR camera with an SD card from uni (for a film project) that has been used on different mac and PC computers and I don't know if these computers have been infected or not. The SD card has nothing on it, but my question is, can a DSLR camera/SD card carry a virus and transfer into my mac? even if it does not do any damage?

Thank you.

2. Laserducky macrumors regular

Laserducky

If the data on the card is already backed up, just format the card and you should be good to go.

3. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Format the card in the camera and you should be safe.

4. macbroadcast thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply guys. Do you mean it should be fine if I only use the SD card?

5. Nemic, Jun 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2015

Nemic macrumors member

Any removable media has the potential to carry a virus, such as an SD card that this camera uses.

Use the menu system in the digital camera itself to format the SD card while it is in the camera. This will totally remove everything from the SD card. This should be easy enough to do. If you cannot figure out how to get the camera to format the card, then a quick google search will yield the answer.

Formatting a card before using it, can be useful as it will remove any other files (photo, video etc) that may still be on there.

Do this before you take any photo's or videos yourself.

There is no chance of there being a virus on the card after that - a format essentially wipes everything on the SD card.

Later you can transfer your work to your Mac using the build in SD slot (if your Mac has one) or connect the camera to your Mac using a suitable USB cable.

If you are still concerned about a virus, you could always buy your own SD card and use that.

Also there is zero chance of the camera itself having a virus - well virtually as good as zero - so don't worry about that.

6. macbroadcast thread starter macrumors member

Thank you Nemic. I'm reading alot of this and most say SD cards carry viruses. Its got me thinking twice about this :O

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

If the SD card did contain a virus, someone purposely put it there. Do you trust your team mates that little?

I think you're overthinking this.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not that Macs are not prone to viruses; it's the fact there are none in existence that can affect your Mac.

Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 12 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided by practicing safe computing (see below). 3rd party antivirus apps are not necessary to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as a user practices safe computing, as described in the following link.
    Read the What security steps should I take? section of the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ for tips on practicing safe computing.

Even if it could transfer, it would be a Windows virus, which cannot run on OS X. There are no OS X viruses in the wild.

9. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

An SD card is storage, if connected to an infected PC in theory it could be used to hold a Windows virus file however such a virus cannot execute on the camera and would be removed by formatting the SD card in-camera which should happen so often it would be a waste of time worrying about it. Once formatted in-camera it is safe to use.

10. macbroadcast thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys for the help. I think by just removing all files and formatting the SD card from the camera, like others have suggested, it should be good to go. Just always unsure when it comes to equipment that I don't own.

11. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Then just use your own SD card?

12. Meister Suspended

Meister