DSLR for family video recording?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Keebler, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Keebler macrumors 68030

Hi Folks,

I have a digital Hi8 camcorder which is giving us problems - probably on its last legs.

I use a Pentax K7 for photos and I've used the video mode before, but wondered: if my Hi8 camcorder dies, should I use the K7 or buy a dedicated HD camcorder? The K7 is 720P, but it's fine for me so whether or not it's 1080P, isn't an issue.

The biggest issue I see is that the K7 doesn't have autofocus so I'm constantly adjusting.

I'll filming normal family events - daily life, camping, sports etc..etc..

Cheers,
    keebler

2. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

I can see your predicament. But, atleast you are in the position where you can try out one eventuality before purchasing a dedicated camcorder.

From what you have said I would probably suggest a normal HD camera only because you are interested in family events.

I don't know the age of your kids but if it is first words, riding a bike, first swim etc. you will probably want the image in focus and exposed correctly.

It may not have a shallow depth of field and be completely sharp but you will have an in focus image recording a once in a lifetime moment.

Perhaps think about using the Pentax as second camera which when you have a bit more time can get some more arty shots when the moment isn't so important to capture first time around.

Perhaps consider a camcorder that can do a couple of things that your current pentax can't, for example: 1080p, underwater, shock proof, inbuilt light etc. Little things like that might make the purchase more justifiable.

Also unless you are willing to work around it, the DSLR is simply not built ergonomically for video, making it that extra bit harder to get the great family moments you want.

In any case. Buying a new camera or sticking with the DSLR will be an upgrade over the Hi8 camcorder!

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Most, if not all DSLR require an external microphone to record audio normally.

4. Keebler thread starter macrumors 68030

thanks Ace and consultant. You both raise some good points. I think the camcorder is the way to go and I can practice with the DSLR wrt focus and dof. I'll probably look for some Christmas sales and go from there.

5. SidBala macrumors 6502a

I just recently bought myself a Sony superzoom P&S to use as a camcorder. It does 1080p and the quality is pretty good - arguably better than entry level camcorders.

Best thing is that it is portable. Gotta buy extra batteries though.