DSLR recommendation

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by acedickson, Mar 2, 2011.

1. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

I'm an amateur photographer that has been using my girlfriends Canon G10. It's a nice camera with some excellent features but it's time to get my own DSLR because we travel separately at times.

I have a flexible budget but I don't want to break the bank. I'm looking to spend up to $1500 for the body but would like to spend no more than $1000. I'm asking for recommendations because I'm in the market for the best DSLR I can get that also shoots decent video. I don't shoot many but I would like the ability to when I get the urge.

2. munkees macrumors 65816

munkees

I personally like the Canon 60D, does video up to 1080P, I think the 18-200 kit lens, comes to about $1300. 60D has a flip out LCD.

3. Renderz macrumors 6502

Photography Trainer

I run several workshops; prior to that I researched DSLRs that have good all round capabilities and I absolutely recommend the Canon 550D. It is considered an amateur SLR but it's features are amazing.

It can shoot amazing quality HD video, just YouTube the 550D and you'll see how awesome it is.

4. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

The 550D is a really nice camera.

The 550D, 60D, and 7D are all 18 MP cameras and share quite a few features between them. They all can produce very nice images.

An added benefit of the 550D is it's compact size and lighter weight than the higher end cameras. After a few hours of walking around with our 7D, it really begins to feel pretty heavy. I can walk around all day with our smaller 1000D without really noticing it.

5. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

One big problem with the xxxD (550D series of cameras) for me personally is that they really hurt my hands to use. They are just too small, the xxD (60D series) and xD feel much, much nicer and honestly are not that much heavier.

6. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

I second this as a recommendation... The ergonomic advantages of the 60D (rear dial, top LCD, etc) make it a worthy consideration over a xxxD. BTW, I see the 60D currently has a $100 instant rebate or you could alternatively consider a refurb... Adorama has just updated their refurbished Canon stock so you can save a few bucks more if you want (Adorama offers a full 1 year warranty on all Canon refurbs).

7. wilhelmreems macrumors member

refurb is a great idea, just be sure you get it from a place that backs up the warranty, etc.

the money saved can be put towards some great accessories, too.

8. Laird Knox macrumors 68000

Do you have any old equipment? If you have access to lenses then you might want to stick to that manufacturer. If not, then my personal choice is the Nikon D7000. But I already have a bunch of Nikon glass.

9. Laird Knox macrumors 68000

Yeah, I bought a factory demo Nikon D60 from Adorama on the cheap. It only had about 100 actuations on the shutter.

10. gameface macrumors 6502

The T3i just came out and has pretty much every feature of the 60D including the flip out screen. 60D is a bit heavier duty plastic, slightly bigger feeling and has controls that more mimic the pro level cameras. But the buttons suck. I have a 7D but if I had to get a cheaper camera I would go with the T3i over the 60D as strange as it sounds.

11. merkinmuffley macrumors 6502a

What do plan to shoot? Do you have any Canon lenses you want to use with your new DSLR?
    Based on your video requirements, I'd look at the Nikon D7000 and the Canon EOS 7D. Here are a couple reviews for your perusal.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos7d/

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond7000/

12. acedickson thread starter macrumors 6502a

acedickson

I take a wide variety of shots from landscape to wildlife to fashion to weddings. I don't have any lenses anymore so there's going to be some investment that's why I don't want to break the bank with the body. I had some equipment but took a hit with the recession and had to sell. The camera I was using back then was a Canon Rebel G 35mm SLR I was given years ago.

I appreciate the suggestions. What was making my decision the most difficult was the video capabilities. I just don't want to buy a HD Camcorder too because that's too such shhhhht to carry.I don't have a preference for Canon or Nikon either so the choices I have are great!

13. wilhelmreems macrumors member

personally, i don't think the video on DSLR is perfected enough yet, at least for me.

The next generation of bodies will have better video and the generation after that will be better, too. i'd say figure out which brand of lens you like better and go with that.

14. gameface macrumors 6502

This just in, next years MBP will be faster than this years. :p

15. NEiMac macrumors regular

If I were you I would go to a camera store and check them out see how they feel in your hands, see if you like the control layout stuff like that. Then go from there.