DSLR & San Dunes

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by lionheartednyhc, Jun 10, 2010.

1. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

I am going ATV this weekend in some san dunes and definitely do not want to miss out on some great pictures. I am wondering how that environment is for a a camera, and looking for some tips to protect my equipment.

Using a Canon rebel xsi if it makes a difference.

Thanks!

2. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

I have the XSi. It's a good camera but it isn't weather sealed. Be careful when transporting it around the dunes. Put it in a plastic bag or two. I'm a bit cautious with my equipment, so wait to see what someone else has to say. Rain will mess it up, but I'm not really sure about sand.

Dale

3. El Cabong macrumors 6502a

Sand can ruin the autofocus motors in the lens and camera. Don't set the camera down in sand, and watch out for strong winds. Keep it covered and secure when not in use.

4. HBOC macrumors 68020

The only time where a "UV" filter is probably a smart idea.

5. funkboy macrumors regular

Make sure that you have the lens that you want, a full battery & large empty CF card so that you don't have to open any doors or change lenses. If you absolutely must, do it inside a clean bag shielded from the wind. B&H photo sells a lot of different environmental protection gear for this sort of thing.

6. jampat macrumors 6502a

I use shower caps as quick and easy lens caps for those kinds of shooting conditions. Unless I am actively shooting, I pull the cap over the lens. I pull it off as the camera is coming up if I want a shot. It helps to keep some of the crap out of the lens (the cap covers the barrel too to keep out blowing sand).