DSLR vs. Mac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mrcowdude20, Oct 19, 2011.

1. mrcowdude20 macrumors regular

So, I have a white MacBook, but I am getting into heavy video and photography stuff, and I really need some extra power. Should I get a DSLR (I love photography) or an iMac? Also, I might just save up for the Mac Pro, but I don't have an income so it would take a long time. Anyway, what should I get? For video/photography. I already have a Canon point-and-shoot. Thanks!

2. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

If you're serious about getting into photography get a good DSLR before you upgrade your computer. Your mac should be fine to handle what it needs to but for serious photography a point and shoot just won't work.

I'm not a still photo guy by any means but a photographer buddy of mine once said that when buying a camera make sure to get the best piece of glass (lens) you can afford and then buy as good a body as possible to fit it to. I would suggest going that route.

If you do think your macbook needs a boost in the meantime, however, I would suggest upgrading it's RAM a bit. This is easy and can be done cheaply.

Personally I do video work and bought an iMac before a new video camera (although I do need one) because my macbook is rather old and getting weak but pro video work is much more computer intensive than photography. For photography having a good camera will do much more than a powerful computer.

3. kevinfulton.ca macrumors 6502

Take it from a guy who also has a White MacBook and hold off on a new computer for a bit and just max out your RAM and Hard Drive for the time being. You could do this for less then $200, but that being said I'd recommend the order of purchases to be:

1) Camera with Lens kit (until you find out the kind of lenses you want)
    2) Best Glass you can get!! (If you have a Canon body get EF Lenses since you'll be able to use them on any Canon body)
    3) RAM + Hard Drive (in preparation for Aperture)
    4) Aperture (Works fine, but you'll be taking a few more coffee breaks while it works.)
    5)iMac / MBP / MBA / MP

This was recommended to me by a friend and it really works as you naturally progress as a photographer. You'll probably find, just as I did, that by the time you get to #5 that maybe what you THOUGHT you wanted doesn't work for your workflow. I thought I wanted a MBP, but after doing many shoots, and using my iPad on location, I've decided my next step is an iMac because I won't need a laptop.......at least not yet ;) Best of luck, but remember GLASS IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN ANYTHING ELSE!!

4. twiggy0 macrumors 6502

You should first get the DSLR, but then try to use your school's computers for Editing. If you're close to being in college, most if not all colleges have libraries that offer photo editing software. High school is a different story but it's worth checking. Try to save up your money as best as you can though, investing it would be much wiser, instead of splurging it on anything you want that comes to mind. I do support buying a DSLR however, it lets your artistic side come out, and is a wonderful thing to have. I'm actually starting a small guide on DSLR's if you'd like to check it out in my signature. It's a work in progress, I'll be updating it throughout the days though. :D

5. twiggy0 macrumors 6502

If you're really into photography and you think you'll use it frequently, then get a DSLR. I wouldn't recommend getting a high end model though, you should lean more towards an entry level model and get the hang of it before upgrading lenses and ultimately body in the future. I actually have a small DSLR review site that's in my signature. It's a work in progress but I'll have more reviews up as the days go by. :D

6. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

You can only capture the image once.
    You can always process it.

Get a good camera system.

7. m4dm4n macrumors newbie

If I were in your shoes I would definitely get myself a DSLR first. Even if my computer was a clunky old PC. (D)SLRs open up a whole new world of techniques to learn. If you're serious you can pickup either a used DSLR and a fast 50mm prime for $500 or less, or a cheap 50mm prime with a body for $300 or less. Just remember, the camera doesn't make the photo, YOU do!

8. Nick McEnjoy macrumors member

Sounds like you don't know what you need.

I want a Macbook Pro. Problem is I don't need it.
    Few years back, I got two dSLRs and a HD camera. Turned out I don't need them. I wanted them. But not need them.

Buy what you need. Don't waste your money. And it's perfectly ok if you find out you need none of them.

If you have money and don't know what to do with them, feed some hungry folks. There are 50 mil starving people in America (Check CNN). By doing so you might eventually write a book and get rich. When you've had enough money, then you won't have to come here to ask us what to buy.