Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jottle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 17, 2003
I'm having a weird problem with my network settings that I can't figure out. If I manually change the dns servers in the network control panel, the servers will revert back to my isp's defaults after I restart my mac. The dns servers that I manually input stay active indefinitely no matter what I do, unless I restart. Then after restarting, it's as if the dns servers I inputted were never there. They're completely gone in the network settings and replaced by my isp's defaults again. Any advice? I do use a vpn service (private internet access), but this doesn't seem to have any effect on this issue.

ScoobyMcDoo

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2007
Austin, TX
I do use a vpn service (private internet access), but this doesn't seem to have any effect on this issue.

My best guess is that this is an inaccurate statement. I use a VPN also, and when I connect to it, my VPN's DNS is then used instead of the ones I have configured for my network interface.

ElectricSheep

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2004
Wilmington, DE
My best guess is that this is an inaccurate statement. I use a VPN also, and when I connect to it, my VPN's DNS is then used instead of the ones I have configured for my network interface.

This depends entirely on how the VPN service is configured. Some may provide name servers to connected clients, and some may not.

To the OP: Do you recall having to run any kind of setup or installer to get connected to your ISP? It is possible that there is a LaunchAgent, StartupItem, or Login Item which is overwriting the system configuration for DNS settings.

Jottle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 17, 2003
This depends entirely on how the VPN service is configured. Some may provide name servers to connected clients, and some may not.

To the OP: Do you recall having to run any kind of setup or installer to get connected to your ISP? It is possible that there is a LaunchAgent, StartupItem, or Login Item which is overwriting the system configuration for DNS settings.

I did suspect that my was altering the dns settings, and it does override the network preferences when it's activated (not reflected in the network settings control panel visually, however. It happens behind the scenes), but even when I connect and disconnect my vpn, and then open up my dns settings, my manual settings are still there (not reset). It's only after a restart do they disappear and go back to the defaults. I do have dnscrypt installed as well, and it does insert launchagents in the library folder. However, I currently have it completely disabled. So I doubt it would be affecting anything. I can't see anything else that would be messing with the dns settings on startup however.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.