.dss files

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Marie123456, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Marie123456 macrumors newbie

I am a transcriptionist and need to either listen to .dss files or convert them to .mp3. Is there a way to do this? I tried the NCH Switch program but it said it cannot convert to a .dss file for a Mac. I love my computer but this is really a problem :(

If there's anyway to do it please let me know.

2. Marie123456 thread starter macrumors newbie

What is a .sit file? I've actually had this happen before. It came up with a bunch of weird symbols.

3. Sam Yikin macrumors regular

.sit is Stuffit's file compression format IIRC...

4. Marie123456 thread starter macrumors newbie

I was able to download the program to open the StuffIf file. I was able to download the DSS player which made me a little happy at least I can hear the file. Unfortunately, the DSS player is not compatible with my foot pedal. It would be really hard to work without the foot pedal.

Are there any other ideas out there? I saw something about instaling a codec into the program I've been using (Express Scribe). I don't understand how to "intall" it though.

Today is turning into a really, really long day. :(

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

If the other suggestion doesn't work I think the DSS player from Olympus allows for you to convert the file to an mp3 which should be more widely compatible.

Although it is a long time since i used DSS player.

7. Marie123456 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've been using the Express Scribe for OsX. I was trying to figure out how to install codecs for Express Scribe. I understand the basic concept of codec but don't understand how to install it.

It won't let me do the .dss files. I looked around the DSS Player with Olympus to see if there is a way to convert and I don't see it. I checked around on their webpage and found
    Once you have downloaded the files into your PC, click on the file you want to transcribe, and then click "File / Save As" You then can convert the "DSS" file to a "WAV" file. You should note that the "WAV" file is very large.

Since that's for Windows I went ahead and emailed their support department to see if there's a way to do it on a Mac.

I hope Macs take over the universe soon! It stinks that there is not support for Macs like there is for Windows.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

9. Marie123456 thread starter macrumors newbie

I saw a post saying I needed these:
    dsscodec.dll
    dsscore.dll
    dsscorevb.dll

I saw another post on a board saying to go here: http://www.free-codecs.com/download/k_lite_Mega_Codec_Pack.htm and download but once again it appears it's for Windows.

But the instructions are for Windows. I found another download for codecs but once again it's Windows. I am thinking this just might be hopeless. I am trying to avoid installing Windows until it's absolutely necessary because of the cost (Parallels & XP) plus there's a reason I switched to a Mac!

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, those are all for Windows. Mac doesn't use .dll files.