DTS decoding AND separate track extraction on mac?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by tj7, May 7, 2009.

1. tj7 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I understand that with DTS audio releases there are multiple audio 'tracks' which can be extracted from the source audio. I am trying to extract all of the separate tracks that I can from a DTS release "the Police greatest hits", into .av format, so i can start mucking around with them and doing remixes and stuff. eg there are separate tracks containing isolated bass+vocal+snare with another stereo track containing guitars etc. I've come across mp3 conversions of these and it's driving me nuts... I want to get at them myself, lossless.

Do I need a hardware DTS decoder? Or is there software I can use on my mac to not only decode the audio files but access the separate tracks and extract them to wav?

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

mplayer can handle DTS. But it will take some effort, possibly includeing building mplayer from source with the featured you need enabled.
    http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/info.html

I found the you can buy working AV receivers at thrift shops for about $40

3. tj7 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the tip.
    i probably won't buy any hardware just for the purposes of getting into one DTS record - i really just want to be able to play with this police stuff. so, anyone else got further tips on this...? is there a way to do all this using software on my mac...? without having to be able to program / alter source code of existing apps? (i have no idea how to do that).