DTS sound

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by littlebudha, Dec 1, 2010.

1. littlebudha macrumors newbie

I used to use Plex as my media server.
    I have switched to using Itunes as my media server. I have alot of MKV's that have DTS sound in them, unfortunately the m4v format does not handle these files.
    my question is, what do you guys do to get around this? I know I can use mkvtools to convert to AAC - but this is only a 2 channel audio, but I wanted to see if I can preserve the DTS or atleast convert the DTS to AC3. Is this possible? to help future proof the files.

2. Evgenyy macrumors regular

MKVTools will convert DTS to 6 channel AC3 for you and you also have the option of adding 2ch AAC as a second track.

3. littlebudha thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried using mkvtools to convert but for some reason, at the end the file is not created. Mkvtools goes through the process of extracting audio and video and then muxing but no new files are created. It allows me to make a 2chAAC but not the 5.1 ch AAC or 5.1ch AC3. I think I have the latest mkvtools - ver 2.4.

4. KeithJenner macrumors 6502a

The nightly builds of Handbrake deal with DTS. I've been using it to convert MKV Blu-Ray rips to an Apple TV format and it works very well.

5. littlebudha thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestions guys!..was able to get mkvtools to work