DU will not resize partition?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Project Alice, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Project Alice macrumors member

Project Alice

hi all,
    i have made a recovery FireWire hard drive.
    i have 3 partitions, two 30gbs both to boot leopard and tiger, and one 15gb that i was going to use for time machine but i decided that i want to make that leopard and tiger installs..
    so anyways disk utility keeps telling me that the hard drive must be formatted in HFS+ with journaling enabled to support resizing. the entire drive is formatted that way! i would really love not to have to repartition the entire drive, as i have both leopard and tiger already installed..
    thanks in advanced

Attached Files:

2. millar876 macrumors 6502a

millar876

unfortunately, Disc utility can't make extra partitions without reformatting the entire drive. These days you can get massive hard drives for relatively few $ (£) in the UK you gan pick up a 1TB desktop External HD for around £50-£60 or a 500GB mobile one for around the same or just a wee bit more.

So it might be an idea to pick up a new one anyway and then you can reformat as you like, and use the small one you're using just now as an emergency recovery drive.

I have an 80GB Desktop drive in an enclosure that has 10.6.3, iDefrag and techtool Pro on it. it lives in my desk draws until i need to use it, or update the OS

3. Project Alice thread starter macrumors member

Project Alice

thanks for the reply. do you know of any software available that will do the job for now? it doesnt matter if its free or not. it would be nice to keep around.

4. MacTech68, Jul 18, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2011

MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Prosoft Engineering's Drive Genius will do it, but you need to defrag existing partitions AFAIK

5. larkost macrumors 6502a

DiskUtility can live-resize HFS+ (journaled at least) partitions, but it requires them to be on the GUID partitioning scheme. From your image it looks like your disk is formatted APM.

It might be that the GParted live CD would do what you want, but I have not tried it out with Mac volumes (only PC ones).