Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeff.macaddict

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2003
Washington
I have a G4, however, I am always on the go with my PowerBook, and dont really use my PowerMac that often, except late at night. So, all day, i Fold.

However, I would like to take advantage of my dual system to fold more. I am using the text client, and would like to know how to run a client on each processor, or whatever, I am not that well educated with folding, but, I like it!

Any help is appreciated.

slash8slash1

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2003
germany
Utilize both CPUs

Try running two instances of it. I do the same with seti and it works really well. You can try 'top' in the terminal, it should show both instances with nearly 100% CPU load if the rest of your system is idle.

jeff.macaddict

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2003
Washington
uh oh

I downloaded that, and tried it, and the terminal process kept failing. I did exactly what it said to do in the read me, i restarted, tried again, and still no luck.

here is what it said in the terminal:

###############################################################################

Arguments: -local -configonly

[10:46:51] - Ask before connecting: No
[10:46:51] - User name: jeff_macaddict (Team 3446)
[10:46:51] - User ID = 217B44F0304F6672
[10:46:51] - Machine ID: 1
[10:46:51]
[10:46:51] Configuring Folding@home...

User name [jeff_macaddict]?
Team Number [3446]?
Ask before fetching/sending work (no/yes) [no]?
Use proxy (yes/no) [no]?
Change advanced options (yes/no) [no]? yes
Client Type (no-pref/fah/gah) [no-pref]? fah
Core Priority (idle/low) [idle]? idle
Disable highly optimized assembly code (no/yes) [no]?
Interval, in minutes, between checkpoints (3-30) [15]?
Ignore deadline information (mainly useful if
system clock frequently has errors) (no/yes) [no]?
Machine ID (1-8) [1]?

[10:47:34] - Ask before connecting: No
[10:47:34] - User name: jeff_macaddict (Team 3446)
[10:47:34] - User ID = 217B44F0304F6672
[10:47:34] - Machine ID: 1
[10:47:34]
[10:47:34] -configonly flag given, so exiting.
/Volumes/dual/.setup/script.command: line 29: 464 Terminated ./fah4 -local -configonly
logout
[Process completed]

Can anyone help me? Any ideas?

ChrisFromCanada

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2004
Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
I have been using the script on my dual 1GHz powermac and I would suggest not clicking on the fah4 to start it up. You are supposed to open a new terminal window and type in start then a couple seconds after you can close the window and it will run in the background.

jeff.macaddict

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2003
Washington
YAY!

ok, it works to type start in the terminal, my only question now is, when i check on the WUs, in the Unitinfo.txt file, it says that both processors are working on the same work units, arent they supposed to work on different units? how does both of them working on the same unit independantly speed up the folding process?

EDIT:
okay, now i am kinda confused, i enterd the top command, and it shows that there are two f@h65 cores, and two f@h78 cores. Each of the four cores uses a quarter of the processor, which is fine, since is just uses the idle processing power.

I tried deleting the older cores, but they reappeared in their folder, i assume they were downloaded again. Should i worry about this?

EDIT2: dont ask why, but now there are 8 f@h78 cores running on my comp, and even typing lags like crazy. eek.

ChrisFromCanada

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2004
Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
jeff.macaddict said:
ok, it works to type start in the terminal, my only question now is, when i check on the WUs, in the Unitinfo.txt file, it says that both processors are working on the same work units, arent they supposed to work on different units? how does both of them working on the same unit independantly speed up the folding process?

EDIT:
okay, now i am kinda confused, i enterd the top command, and it shows that there are two f@h65 cores, and two f@h78 cores. Each of the four cores uses a quarter of the processor, which is fine, since is just uses the idle processing power.

I tried deleting the older cores, but they reappeared in their folder, i assume they were downloaded again. Should i worry about this?

EDIT2: dont ask why, but now there are 8 f@h78 cores running on my comp, and even typing lags like crazy. eek.

I'm really not sure about the multiple folding running, but ,the reason it appears that you are folding the same project is that when you started both of you folding programs requested work units at the same time so they got extremely similar units. To find the difference look for this line in the .txt file:

"Project: 212 (Run 3, Clone 7, Gen 6)"

you should notice that the run, clone and gen numbers are different.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.