Dual 2.0 Rev B vs New Dual 2.3 Purchase

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mak, Jul 8, 2005.

  1. mak macrumors member

    Feb 19, 2005

    I have a mac mini but I feel my needs have changed and I need a faster computer.

    I am starting a new job in the autumn. I will be given the chance to use photoshop and macromedia fireworks on a daily basis day-in-day-out. In my spare time I will be working on audio and video work for home videos created. I will also work on editing 5 mega-pix photographs, create websites and various other multimedia related work.

    I have looked at the powermac lineup and the refurbished systems seem to be in my price range. i do not really want to blow silly money as i want to purchase other things such as ram and graphics tablet.

    The choice is between:

    Power Mac G5 DUAL 2GHz/ 512MB/ 160GB/ 8x SuperDrive/ PCI-X/ GeFr5200 (refurb - old version) for £1115

    Power Mac G5 DUAL 2.3 GHz/ 512MB/ 250GB/ 16x SuperDrive/Ati 128mb (brand new version) for £1450-1500 ish with education d/c

    I will up the ram to 2.5gb via crucial for £150 ish

    can anyone who has either of these systems please help? what should i purchase for my needs? should i wait and continue using the mac mini?

    if i were to wait for an intel mac the other option i had was to get an amd x2 system to pass the time and then see how things progress for the mac hardware? but these are priced similar at £1100-1500

    so many questions but hopefully you can help.

    thanks in advance
  2. iGary Guest


    May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    Dual 2.3 - I'm in a similar situation as you.
  3. osiris315 macrumors member


    Apr 7, 2005
    Valencia, Spain
    Get the Dual 2.3!! More HD space AND dual-layer DVD burner!

    Ah go on... you KNOW you want to! :p ;)
  4. QCassidy352 macrumors G4


    Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    only you can know how much of a difference that price gap makes to you, given your current financial situation. But IMO, the dual 2.0 is a better deal.
  5. dmw007 macrumors G4


    May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    Go for the DP 2.3GHz PowerMac G5. I love mine (in signature). With the 2.3 you get-
    -faster CPUs
    -faster FSBs
    -faster, dual-layer Superdrive
    -larger HD
    -plus I believe that they tweaked the performance of the SATA HDs in the rev C PowerMac G5s.

    Enjoy your new PowerMac G5 (whatever one you get).
  6. Sam I Am macrumors regular

    Jun 5, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    If you can afford the Dual 2.3, I would recommend that, hands down.
  7. wiseguy27 macrumors 6502


    Apr 30, 2005
    depends on your budget

    You haven't mentioned what display you already have with the Mac Mini.

    As others have already mentioned, if you can afford it go for the dual 2.3GHz. Otherwise the dual 2GHz with a bigger monitor and better graphics card (with the money you'd save) would be a much better deal!

    With 2.5GB RAM in either of these models, I doubt if you'd notice a huge difference in performance. But things like a better graphics card and a bigger display will make a big positive difference in your experience of using the machine!

    Bigger monitor = 23" or bigger (you could get a Dell if you wish to save money)
    Better graphics card = X850XT or better

    If you want to wait for a better Power Mac, then you would have to probably hold on till the beginning of next year (when the dual core ones might probably be released). If you want to wait for the Intel Power Macs, then you may have to wait till 2008 to see Rev B models.

Share This Page