Dual 2.0Ghz G5 tower for $150?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by applefan69, Oct 30, 2010.

1. applefan69 macrumors 6502a

applefan69

Today on a local ad a guy is posting a G5 tower for $150 with2Gb RAM.

I currently have a 2.0 Dual core2duo Macbook as my main computer. It runs my HD tv in my room and I watch most shows through this way.

But after reading this add, it sounds like a great deal to me. (6 year old machine, that was originally ~$2000 for $150... nothing wrong there!) But im having second thoughts on the necessity of this computer. My macbook runs the HDTV flawlessly, along with running Windows XP in the background on Parallels. So my macbook does not need any help, but this deal is almost too good to pass.

Thoughts?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Remember that it uses a crapload of power so in the long run it will be quite expensive, especially if you have no real use for it.

3. weckart macrumors 68040

If the case is in good order, it might be worth that alone to a modder.

4. applefan69 thread starter macrumors 6502a

applefan69

Thats an excellent point that I didnt consider. Also this tower's weakest point is the video card. Only 128Mb of VRAM, and I dont think that is upgradable.

I really want this computer for the novelty of owning my first tower mac, but im starting to think I cant justify it. =/

5. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

If you have a monitor and everything else to make it run, go for it. Just don't sink any much more money into it.

Would be nice to have as a backup computer or when someone else needs to use one. Graphics should be able to be upgraded as well.

6. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

$150? heck I'll take it if you don't want it. Be a nice upgrade for me.