Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applefan69

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 9, 2007
Today on a local ad a guy is posting a G5 tower for $150 with2Gb RAM.

I currently have a 2.0 Dual core2duo Macbook as my main computer. It runs my HD tv in my room and I watch most shows through this way.

But after reading this add, it sounds like a great deal to me. (6 year old machine, that was originally ~$2000 for $150... nothing wrong there!) But im having second thoughts on the necessity of this computer. My macbook runs the HDTV flawlessly, along with running Windows XP in the background on Parallels. So my macbook does not need any help, but this deal is almost too good to pass.

Thoughts?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Remember that it uses a crapload of power so in the long run it will be quite expensive, especially if you have no real use for it.

applefan69

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 9, 2007
Remember that it uses a crapload of power so in the long run it will be quite expensive, especially if you have no real use for it.

Thats an excellent point that I didnt consider. Also this tower's weakest point is the video card. Only 128Mb of VRAM, and I dont think that is upgradable.

I really want this computer for the novelty of owning my first tower mac, but im starting to think I cant justify it. =/

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
If you have a monitor and everything else to make it run, go for it. Just don't sink any much more money into it.

Would be nice to have as a backup computer or when someone else needs to use one. Graphics should be able to be upgraded as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.