Dual 2.3 GHz Powermac vs. Aluminum iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by techlover828, Sep 9, 2008.

1. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

Hey guys, thinking of getting a desktop. Trying to decide between a dual 2.3Ghz Powermac and one of the new aluminum imacs. The powermac costs around $800 shipped (is that too much?) and the new aluminum imac would be like 1k for a used one I guess. What do you guys think. I've always really liked the look of the mac pro/powermac g5 and the upgradability. It has 2.5GB that comes with it, but I'd probably get 2-4 more. Also I can stick a few hard drives in there and be all set for space without having to deal with external hard drive. It also doesn't come with airport or bluetooth. Bluetooth is a must, and I have ethernet right now but we're moving so I guess I'd need to get a apple airport/bluetooth card thing (where do you get those?). Anyway, is this a good buy over just an alum. imac? I'd probably get 2.4-2.8. Obviously the imac has another screen which is a plus, and I think it might be faster.

I realize this is disorganized and random, but I'm just trying to get my thoughts out and see what you guys think. Thanks.

TL

2. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

The iMac will be alot faster and is the better investment as far as the actual hardware is concerned. So you need to decide how important the expandability of the G5 is and whether you really need more than 4GB of memory.

3. techlover828 thread starter macrumors 68020

techlover828

I feel like such a child, I know the imac would probably be faster but I've just always wanted a mac pro and the powermac is the next best thing. I'd like to have 6gb of ram and a few hard drives, but idk if it's worth it.

4. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

I'm sure your not the first to have struggle with this sort of decision. I'd wager the iMac will give you a better overall experience though. Any benefit the 6GB over 4GB would give you will probably be easily countered by benefit of the faster processor.

5. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Agreed on both counts. Even if you were to shove 8GB in that guy it wouldn't really match the benefits of the chip, FSB, and RAM bus speeds while running universal or intel only software.

Is the Power Mac the October 2005 (single chip dual core) version? If it's not, then forget about it and go for the iMac. Having dual HDDs can be compensated by any combination of externals, and the limited amount of GFX cards will make you cry.

Go for the iMac.

6. techlover828 thread starter macrumors 68020

techlover828

Ok, thanks guys, guess I"ll just get the imac soon

7. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

What software will you be using???

Most current software is now program for intel Macs, etc. Plus the imac would have a faster FSB, etc.

8. Bobjob186 macrumors 6502

tell me if I'm wrong but didn't the last revision G5's have a 1033mhz FSB???

9. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Yup, the one he is looking for has a 1GHz bus, and the RAM would still be clocked at 533MHz or 667MHz depending on where you get it from.

The iMac has a 1066MHz bus and 800MHz RAM bus.